NASDS converstion to SSI 'Open Water' C-Card

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the advanced warning (1 day). I have an old NASDS card from 1976. It is alive still, though barely.

Coincidently, I called SSI up the road in Fort Collins on the 6th of February looking to get a replacement C-card that wasn't cracking (and didn't have "Billy" for my signature :wink:) and was told they would not reissue any card since I missed the deadline by 5 days. They would however be happy to give me a course and certify me all over again. Well, thanks, but if I'm going to do that, I might as well go with PADI. Was it so onerous for your organization to continue the practice?

Seems very lame and arbitrary to me.

Will

Found my old NASDS 'Safe Scuba' by William "Bill" Hogan, second edition 1972, hard bound training book. What a hoot!

Thanks for all the advanced warning (1 day). I have an old NASDS card from 1976. It is alive still, though barely.

Coincidently, I called SSI up the road in Fort Collins on the 6th of February looking to get a replacement C-card that wasn't cracking (and didn't have "Billy" for my signature :wink:) and was told they would not reissue any card since I missed the deadline by 5 days. They would however be happy to give me a course and certify me all over again. Well, thanks, but if I'm going to do that, I might as well go with PADI. Was it so onerous for your organization to continue the practice?

Will

If PADI did that then everyone on Scubaboard would be up in arm over the PADI money grab but because it is not PADI everyone is just ho-hum.

Will

Why not keep it (I would!) and pick up a Nitrox cert?

Then you have a really cool old card to show, and a nice sturdy new nitrox card that will get you voodoo gas as well as proving you're certified.

flots.

Last edited:
Great idea! That's exactly what we ended up doing.

1976 C card. 2012 Nitrox card. No more Billy.:wink:

Will

Why not keep it (I would!) and pick up a Nitrox cert?

Then you have a really cool old card to show, and a nice sturdy new nitrox card that will get you voodoo gas as well as proving you're certified.

flots.

I tried that at Sports Chalet.

I thought I had something cool, my old NASDS card from 1977, held together by packing tape with the microfilm. No go. I showed the fill monkey my TDI Nitrox Card, no good because TDI was not on the list on their wall, although SDI was. I ended up digging through my gear in the car and showing a PADI OW card - bingo.

Great idea! That's exactly what we ended up doing.

1976 C card. 2012 Nitrox card. No more Billy.:wink:

Will
that's what id did (nasds in 1974) with newly certified wife

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom