Nassau Diving Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rastob

Reaction score
Although I have been a member of the Scuba Board for a while, this is my first contribution.
I have just returned from a 4-day trip to Nassau. My wife and I stayed at the Radisson hotel at Cable Beach. The hotel was nice, with several swimming pools and a large beach. Prior to my departure for the Bahamas, I had arranged 4 dives with Dive Dive Dive (DDD). They picked me up on Saturday 8:15 sharp and shuttled me to their shop on the other side of the island. Their shop looked a bit run down, but they made up for it with kindness. I have all my equipment, so I don’t know how their equipment worked although on the first look it seemed fine. I was joined by three other divers on an older, but well kept and well running boat operated by Lindsay - a funny Rostoman wannabe. The four of us were accompanied by two dive masters David and Hillary (I think I remember the name correctly, if not I apologize). Once on a boat, David gave us a very detailed briefing about the kind of diving we were about to experience and the dive sites. We dove David Tucker (wall+wreck) and The Runway (wrecks+ sharks). I was very pleased with having to dive only with 5 other people. On the first dive, we started at the wreck and then moved to the wall, which was quite fascinating as it drops into the dark abyss (several thousand feet). We saw two lobsters and, nice size turtle and numerous fish common to the Caribbean. AT the end we returned to the wreck and made several swim throughs. David was the leader of my group and did a very good job. On the second dive we descended onto a sand patch in about 35ft of water. This is the place where Stuart Cove’s conducts its shark feeding dives. DDD does not do them anymore, due to their belief that the sharks are overfed. Anyway, as soon as we descended several Caribbean reef sharks appeared. We must have seen at least 10 different ones circling around, varying in size between 5-8 feet. From there we swam to two wrecks (Bahama Mama was one). Both wrecks were very nice with a lot of exploration that could be done. It was exciting to see many sharks and two wrecks during one dive. Once again Dave did a great job leading. We even saw a spotted moray eel. During our trip back, I spent talking to Hillary, who was very knowledgeable about different diving in the Bahamas, Marine life, etc, - just another proof of how personable and pleasant these people are. However, upon our arrival I was notified by Lorraine (who runs DDD) that the next day I could not go diving with them due to some scheduling issues. I was not pleased with that, but was glad that they arranged a spot for me with Nassau Scuba Center (NSC). The next day DDD picked me up promptly at 8:15, but proceeded to tell me that NSC screwed them and I do not have a spot on their boat. Lorraine arranged a trip for me with Stuart Cove’s (SC) instead. I was pleased to see that my reservation was like a contract to her and she was trying her best to get me those two dives. They took me to SC. Right at the arrival, I was surprised at the circus at SC. They have at least five large boats, and there were so many people running around. Once on a boat, I was disappointed with the lack of interaction and briefing before the dives. The crew was impersonal, I guess because there were at least 12-14 customers on the boat. SC gives cattle boats another meaning. Another reason that upset me was the mixed quality of the divers and lack of leadership from the dive masters during the dive. With a bad briefing, one at least needs good guide during the dive. However, due to all these disappointments, I enjoyed the wrecks and the walls, since I don’t dive every other day. Overall I would rate SC mediocre, trying to please masses not true divers. I can say that this was probably the least personal dive shop that I have ever experienced anywhere.
Overall, the diving in Nassau was average, nothing exceptional. If I were going for a longer period, Nassau would not be a place I would choose. On the other hand it’s easy to get to and one can enjoy the numerous wrecks and walls.
Sorry to keep it so long, just wanted to give enough details. Hope this helps.

Welcome to Scubaboard! Nice trip report.

rastob:
Although I have been a member of the Scuba Board for a while, this is my first contribution.
I have just returned from a 4-day trip to Nassau. My wife and I stayed at the Radisson hotel at Cable Beach. The hotel was nice, with several swimming pools and a large beach. Prior to my departure for the Bahamas, I had arranged 4 dives with Dive Dive Dive (DDD). They picked me up on Saturday 8:15 sharp and shuttled me to their shop on the other side of the island. Their shop looked a bit run down, but they made up for it with kindness. I have all my equipment, so I don’t know how their equipment worked although on the first look it seemed fine. I was joined by three other divers on an older, but well kept and well running boat operated by Lindsay - a funny Rostoman wannabe. The four of us were accompanied by two dive masters David and Hillary (I think I remember the name correctly, if not I apologize). Once on a boat, David gave us a very detailed briefing about the kind of diving we were about to experience and the dive sites. We dove David Tucker (wall+wreck) and The Runway (wrecks+ sharks). I was very pleased with having to dive only with 5 other people. On the first dive, we started at the wreck and then moved to the wall, which was quite fascinating as it drops into the dark abyss (several thousand feet). We saw two lobsters and, nice size turtle and numerous fish common to the Caribbean. AT the end we returned to the wreck and made several swim throughs. David was the leader of my group and did a very good job. On the second dive we descended onto a sand patch in about 35ft of water. This is the place where Stuart Cove’s conducts its shark feeding dives. DDD does not do them anymore, due to their belief that the sharks are overfed. Anyway, as soon as we descended several Caribbean reef sharks appeared. We must have seen at least 10 different ones circling around, varying in size between 5-8 feet. From there we swam to two wrecks (Bahama Mama was one). Both wrecks were very nice with a lot of exploration that could be done. It was exciting to see many sharks and two wrecks during one dive. Once again Dave did a great job leading. We even saw a spotted moray eel. During our trip back, I spent talking to Hillary, who was very knowledgeable about different diving in the Bahamas, Marine life, etc, - just another proof of how personable and pleasant these people are. However, upon our arrival I was notified by Lorraine (who runs DDD) that the next day I could not go diving with them due to some scheduling issues. I was not pleased with that, but was glad that they arranged a spot for me with Nassau Scuba Center (NSC). The next day DDD picked me up promptly at 8:15, but proceeded to tell me that NSC screwed them and I do not have a spot on their boat. Lorraine arranged a trip for me with Stuart Cove’s (SC) instead. I was pleased to see that my reservation was like a contract to her and she was trying her best to get me those two dives. They took me to SC. Right at the arrival, I was surprised at the circus at SC. They have at least five large boats, and there were so many people running around. Once on a boat, I was disappointed with the lack of interaction and briefing before the dives. The crew was impersonal, I guess because there were at least 12-14 customers on the boat. SC gives cattle boats another meaning. Another reason that upset me was the mixed quality of the divers and lack of leadership from the dive masters during the dive. With a bad briefing, one at least needs good guide during the dive. However, due to all these disappointments, I enjoyed the wrecks and the walls, since I don’t dive every other day. Overall I would rate SC mediocre, trying to please masses not true divers. I can say that this was probably the least personal dive shop that I have ever experienced anywhere.
Overall, the diving in Nassau was average, nothing exceptional. If I were going for a longer period, Nassau would not be a place I would choose. On the other hand it’s easy to get to and one can enjoy the numerous wrecks and walls.
Sorry to keep it so long, just wanted to give enough details. Hope this helps.

I was actually very pleased with Stuart's Cove with a couple of exceptions. I hear you on the cattle boat issue though, although it wasn't to bad while I was there, I can see how it could get out of control. I had a maximum of 8-10 people on the boat at one time. One day I had as little as 6. I thought there staff was very friendly but possibly a little to relaxed as you mentioned. I would have liked to see them lead a little more as my girlfriend was a brand new diver and conditions were a little ruff!

I just returned from diving with Stuart Coves on May 24,25,26,27. I did two dives each morning, with from 9 to 11 divers each day. I upgraded one of those to an afternoon shark feeding. 50 dollars more. They do handle the masses including snorkling and what they call wall flying in some contraption (not scuba diving). I found that they would give me whatever attention I wanted. Having a total of maybe 90 dives since 1996, I usually try to make a trip like this every year. Bimini was the best but not much for the non-diving wife to do. Anyway on my first dive I needed and received more attention. The pick up and delivery at the Holiday Inn downtown was on time and the drivers were friendly and helpful. I could store my equipment overnight at the docks and they made some great pictures and videos. I got one for my desktop of me and this nice shark. If I had the trip to do over again I would split my dives between the north sites and the south sites for more variaty. I guess this would involve two different dive shops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom