Nassau trip report August 9 - 15

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robin:
We did the Mike Ball Fly-Dive live aboard Oct./Nov. 2006 on the GBR it was really fantastic. Diving is our primary motivation for our trips but since my wife and I can usually only schedule one major trip a year together around work, school and budget considerations we like to land base our activities in order to add diversity to our venue. One of the things we like to do is find one real piece of Art by indiginous people to add to our collection at home.

We are planning to do a live aboard to Alaska but it is going to take a couple of years for us to aquire dry suits and become proficient with them before we go. Being West Coast divers dry suits will be a good investment for us. During the winter months it is hard to stay down longer than 45 minutes in 50F water with my 7MM wetsuit and I have opted out of the third dive becuase there was just not enough sunshine between dives to get warmed up again. I know you warm water divers are just going Brrrrrrrrrr but until you have experinced the unbelivable diversity of cold water marine life and beauty of a kelp forest for yourself you will just never understand. Sometimes I simply forget that its cold because my other senses are so busy taking it all in. My wife actually prefers cold water diving..... how strange is that?

I have only had one dive that I thought was a poor one. back in the late 70s I went into a lava tube with my first dive partner in Hawaii off of Lanai. Some divers in front of us got too close to the bottom and stirred up the silt all of the sudden it was like being in an ink jar. I had to hold my compass pressed to one eye of my face mask with my light shinning though the other eye to illuminate it and get a reading. I then determined the way out and felt all along the wall to get out while my partner had a death grip on my arm, he was almost in a state of shock although he would never admit to it. Am I jus rambiling on here? time for bed.

Robin:
We did the Mike Ball Fly-Dive live aboard Oct./Nov. 2006 on the GBR it was really fantastic. Diving is our primary motivation for our trips but since my wife and I can usually only schedule one major trip a year together around work, school and budget considerations we like to land base our activities in order to add diversity to our venue. One of the things we like to do is find one real piece of Art by indiginous people to add to our collection at home.

We are planning to do a live aboard to Alaska but it is going to take a couple of years for us to aquire dry suits and become proficient with them before we go. Being West Coast divers dry suits will be a good investment for us. During the winter months it is hard to stay down longer than 45 minutes in 50F water with my 7MM wetsuit and I have opted out of the third dive becuase there was just not enough sunshine between dives to get warmed up again. I know you warm water divers are just going Brrrrrrrrrr but until you have experinced the unbelivable diversity of cold water marine life and beauty of a kelp forest for yourself you will just never understand. Sometimes I simply forget that its cold because my other senses are so busy taking it all in. My wife actually prefers cold water diving..... how strange is that?

I have only had one dive that I thought was a poor one. back in the late 70s I went into a lava tube with my first dive partner in Hawaii off of Lanai. Some divers in front of us got too close to the bottom and stirred up the silt all of the sudden it was like being in an ink jar. I had to hold my compass pressed to one eye of my face mask with my light shinning though the other eye to illuminate it and get a reading. I then determined the way out and felt all along the wall to get out while my partner had a death grip on my arm, he was almost in a state of shock although he would never admit to it. Am I jus rambiling on here? time for bed.

Brrrr........... diving wet in 50F water? We love Calif diving too (see all my videos) but not in that temp. :shakehead:

robin:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom