National Incident Management System (NIMS) Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, our department does.

Gary D.

vablackwater:
I was directed to take the online FEMA/ NIMS training at http://www.training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/crslist.asp
via my team captain to comply with the Homeland Security Act. Our team is all volunteer, just curious if other volunteer teams are doing this as well.

Yes we have to as well. Virtually all emergency providers are required to have NIMS whether career or volunteer.

I/We are behind in getting the classes in though. From my limited exposure to it so far, I believe it is way overkill for anyone beyond a major metropolitan area. Not saying that some of the modules are pertinent, but there is too much for 99% of the calls we will ever see.

Dan

Weve been trying to get all our guys through it as well. funny their williing to run out inthe freezing cold, dive, snow shoe or what ever... but take a test. thats a challenge

My Department tested for NIMS also. I did all mine online. Extremely dry subject, but it was a must do for us.

9mm:
we did ours too. Try to stay awake during it!!!!!!!

9mm:

Trying to stay awake is my issue. I have gone on line a couple of times, but by the time I manage to hit the computer on most days, I'm spent!

Just to clarify, if you are reading the posts in the Public Safety Diving Forum, there is a superb chance that you need to have NIMS. Whether career or volunteer, it is a requirement. There are 4 levels of NIMS and the further you rank up the ladder, the more of the classes you require.

If you have not done it (myself included), you may as well get started.

Dan

Yep- I had to do all 4.

I believe your team or organization, be it FD, PD or S/O will lose any federal grant money and/or aid if your agency is not in full compliance with NIMS by the end of this year. At least that's how it was explained to me. It took me about a dozen sessions to get through all four blocks. Sheer boredom played a big part in it.

Has anyone seen the NIMS standards for water rescue? Very interesting. Nothing out for underwater recovery operations.....yet.

Back
Top Bottom