"natural" Shark diving in Caribbean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For non divers, San Salvador would be horribly boring. Saba is a nice island, with a cool town, but not sure about beaches. We saw lots of sharks there...reef sharks. Based on your being with non divers, I would second the T & C recommendations, though it is pricier.

Grand Turk is just as sharky as any other place in TCI. Boat rides are 10 min max. Can't beat a interval on the beach.

Also not the carribean, but NC has some pretty awesome and reliable shark diving.

From the changes I've heard, I would have to mention San Salvador Island (Bahamas).

In the Flower Gardens off of Texas, young female scalloped hammerheads are routinely seen from February through May, then they just disappear.

Don't forget the silkies @ the rigs and the sandbar sharks @ Stetson! :)

I hear that the Bahamas and the T and C are the places to go for shark sightings. I have not been to either. When diving in Cabo Pulmo Mexico, the visibility was poor, so if there were sharks, we didn't see any:wink: In Saba I spotted a grey reef shark. In my experience, St. Croix offered the most non baited shark spotting of any destination that I have visited. They were all reef sharks. Excluding the pier, we encountered them on every dive.

I did my AOW in Providencia (a Colombian island off of Nicaragua) and saw reef sharks and a nurse shark on most of the dives. The Dc I went out with, Sonny’s, didn’t use chum but others do so you have to choose wisely.

Hello!
I'm based in Europe and most of my diving is in the Mediterranean, Red Sea and (when budget allows) the Maldives.
I may go on a Caribbean trip in December this year and would love some shark action. However, it seems that most "guaranteed" shark encounters are of the circus kind: chum in the water, systematic feeding, etc.

Question: are there any locations where you can meet sharks in a natural setting, without conditioning?

Many thanks in advance.

Stuart’s has some pretty interesting sharky dive sites that they visit. Just avoid the baited ones. The downside for most folks is that area of the Bahamas is not someplace you would spend more than a few days unless you just plan to chill most of the time. Good luck in your search and let us know what you decide and how it turns out. Be safe

Back
Top Bottom