NAUI Asst. Instructor vs. Divemaster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clay357

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am working toward my instructor certification. My instructor, also a course director, told me I should consider going the route of asst. instructor instead of divemaster because it is a little less expensive and there is not much I could do with a DM cert vs. an asst. instructor cert. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

He is full of crap. Assistant instructors will have a few less costs(insurance), but the AI cert really means nothing other than you can assist an instructor during a NAUI class. Divemasters on the other hand are full fledged dive pro's, that are required to carry liability insurance, and are far more useful in the world of diving. Sounds to me like the shop wants to use you up for a while before signing off on your Instructor ticket, its the unfortunate reality in this buisiness and is almost slavery. They know that they can get you to basically teach classes for them(in the presence of an instructor), and work for free for a while before they do an ITC for you.

Just my opinion.

I agree. Review your S&P manual page 2.76 and 2.81 to see the qualifications of each. An AI can assist an instructor, that is pretty much it. A DM can assist AND lead dives for certified divers and conduct and organize NAUI recognition programs. Much more responsibility as a DM, and why the training is more intensive and longer.

Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom