NAUI CPR course recognisation.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alfawolfje

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So for my PADI DM course prerequisites, I was told my NAUI AED, CPR, BBP, SFA, E-O2, Aquatic Injuries .. Is not recognized by PADI as a valid CPR course because it is not ILCOR recognized. But as far as I can see, PADI EFR is also not ILCOR certified because there is no such thing.

Anyhow, just looking for confirmation here.

Cheers

Formulation is a bit different. PADI does not accept your "NAUI AED, CPR, BBP, SFA, E-O2, Aquatic Injuries" as a qualifying certification. Nicolas

From NAUI's First Aid FAQ.
Q:Are NAUI first aid certification recognized by anyone?
A: NAUI is the authority that recognizes its certifications as legitimate to meet the requirement for new member applicants to the Association. As to other entities, we have made inquiries regarding recognition and will be continuing to announce them as they come in. However, consider that in some U.S. States the law specifies American Red Cross or American Heart Association certification (AHA has never offered certifications in first aid, only CPR) so there will always be some “officials” who are unwilling to accept a certification unless it is something with which they are personally familiar. To some extent recognition is a function of proliferation so that the more certifications which are in circulation the more familiar and “acceptable” they become. Also please refer to the answer above regarding legitimacy of training. NAUI first aid materials/courses were reviewed by medical, physiological and emergency medical experts and contain all the ILCOR recommendations.
I take that as NAUI FA/CPR has the same "approval" from ILCOR as PADI EFR.

The PADI Instructor Manual does not specify ILCOR "approval". There is no reason your training should not be accepted, unless it is not "current".

For Prerequisite Certifications, only the following pertains to your questions:

6. EFR Primary Care — proof of current CPR training.

7. EFR Secondary Care — proof of current
first aidtraining.

Hawkwood is correct. what he posted is a copy/paste from the 2014 instructor manual. If you're current in CPR and First Aid, ask them to consult their instructor manual. Page 20 in the english version.

Unfortunately NAUI never incorporated the 2010 ILCOR changes into their materials so your instructor is correct- the course does not meet the current ILCOR standards.

I would suggest contacting PADI and ask them directly. You will get the answer right away.

The PADI Instructor Manual says nothing about "ILCOR", only that you require "proof of current CPR training". We don't "interpret" the meaning of the Standards in the IM.

Not a statement from any instructor but from PADI but just checking if this policy was consistent and what it was based on. Web searches have diverse and inconclusive results....

Kind of accepted this although with mixed feelings and looking into the prices of "PADI" recognized courses and going for a more universally accepted one to not fall into this debate again regardless of agency (PADI/NAUI/SSI)

PS: as far as I could find online, I don't find anything like ILCOR approved. They just release recommendations. So PADI EFR is as ILCOR approved as any NAUI course is... (Neither is). Although my research might be inconclusive. Moot point.

Alfawolfje, so you were told by the training folks at PADI Asia Pacific that NAUI FA training was not an acceptable prerequisite?

Speaking to the folks at PADI just now, as long as your courses were not taken 100% online without practical skills, you're good. NAUI is acceptable according to the folks at PADI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom