NAUI Instructors does NAUI do SideMount???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LakeCountyDiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am asking this because it was asked by a student I was working with and I am not sure of the answer.

Does NAUI offer SM classes or teach it??? I see places that teach cave say NAUI (student & Instructor) divers must use backmount doubles... This is company wording not NAUI's...

I looked on the website and don't see it anywhere.

Thank you

Yet ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

At this time they do not have a official class in sidemount but there are a few NAUI cave instructors that dive SM and I think there was a push to develop a class because of that. I was asked for input but do not dive SM enough these days - mostly doing open ocean wrecks and find BM a better choice for our diving here.

Ok well from your take on the standards are you allowed to teach in SM???

Can students choose SM over BM doubles or do you have to teach/learn in BM???

Ok well from your take on the standards are you allowed to teach in SM???

Can students choose SM over BM doubles or do you have to teach/learn in BM???

Everything in NAUI Tech courses must use NAUI NTEC gear configuration.

NAUI does do sidemount. However the Tech instructor i believe has to develop his own lesson plan and have it approved through NAUI. I do know of a few NAUI tech instructors teaching sidemount.

Everything in NAUI Tech courses must use NAUI NTEC gear configuration.

The only configuration I'm aware of is NTEC unless an Instructor has wriiten their own course and had it approved by NAUI.

Tony Flaris
NAUI 44662

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NAUI NTEC is not in NAUI standards, but is part of the instructor guide for the specific course, this was done purposefully. If a NAUI Tec instructor were to write an Instructor Specified Specialty for say, sidemount, he/she would need to include an equipment configuration for approval.

Jeff Heim
NAUI 10880

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom