NAUI Open Water II = AOW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Call NAUI. They might be able to [-]send[/-] sell you a new card that says AOW.

Fixed it for you.

:d

i would get a new card from them --- 1. for less possible hassle on the boat 2. the original card is now a collector's item :)

and depending on how good of a talker you are -- might get it for free or cost of shipping? and how high up you can get.

This is good to know. It may be cheap insurance for me to get a more "modern" version of my C card to show.

You can order one by searching for yourself using their online diver verification site and ordering a replacement when your information comes up.

NAUI Diver Lookup

If the system can't find you it's because they used to use your name and SSN to reference your records and now they use your name and birthdate. If you call them they will find your info and update it with your birthdate so that the database can find you. I have done it for my certification and for students that I have worked with and it never took more than a few minutes to get the information updated.

The only issue you might have is if someone doesn't know that what NAUI now calls Advanced Scuba Diver was called Openwater II until 1995. If you are really worried about it you can order a replacement card from NAUI and the one you get will say Advanced Scuba Diver but personally I wouldn't spend the $32.

Agree, I would not spend the $32 either. I actually prefer the old card. Given the current course content and training outline, "Openwater II" seem to me to be the more appropriate title anyway.

Last edited:
My recollection is that PADI came up with the term AOW as purely a marketing ploy (that worked). Wouldn't you want a card that said Advanced, rather than one that indicated that you had just taken the next course? Unfortunately, NAUI and everyone else follow PADI's lead.

Current nomenclature appears to be Advanced Scuba Diver, 6 dives including deep, nav, night/low vis, and 3 others. Is this simialr to your OW II?

We'd accept it as the direct equivalent of PADI AOW or SSI AA. There is plenty info about it online too, even for shops that haven't encountered it before - including the name change from Advanced Scuba Diver (eg Advanced Open Water Diver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - check the issues section for name change info).

I'd say you're due for a refresher if you havn't dived since you got it though :wink:

Current nomenclature appears to be Advanced Scuba Diver, 6 dives including deep, nav, night/low vis, and 3 others. Is this simialr to your OW II?

My course was probably the next best thing to Navy SEAL training. A 5-credit semester long college course, with a UC Berkeley Scientific Diver cert and NAUI Open Water II at the end. 2 hours 3 days/week in the classroom, one 4 hour session in the pool every week, 8 days at the ocean, 20 open water dives in Northern California winter/spring conditions. (High surf, poor vis, cold temps.) I don't think we left any topic or type of diving untouched, except for hard-core tech stuff. (I ended up being an instructor in the same program for 7 years.)

I'd say you're due for a refresher if you havn't dived since you got it though :wink:

Other than the years I lived away from the ocean in Colorado, I've been in the water regularly ever since. A lot more in the last few years since I moved to San Diego.

---------- Post added November 29th, 2013 at 11:53 AM ----------

I think I do have the experience necessary to do so-called "advanced" dives. I'm just concerned if I have the right plastic to show to dive operators with strict rules about such things. Of course the only plastic that some some ops care about is the one that says "Visa" on it. :wink:

Last edited:
Not true at all! MasterCard and Discover work pretty well also. And if you have an AmEx gold, platinum, or black then you are really qualified for damn near anything some places.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom