Naui won’t send replacement card

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Discusdoc

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I received my scuba certificate in 1973 through a Naui course taught at San Jose State University. I have dived at least once a year since then, including many week-long trips to Cozumel, Club Med (Mexico and Tahiti), Belize, Cancun, Hawaii, and Townsville. I also wrote a chapter on hyperbaric physiology (in Brooks et al Exercise Physiology). I lost my card and Naui refuses to send a new card because they can’t find the record, even though I sent them my card number and instructor. I’m on a Caribbean cruise but am unable to dive without the card.

I’m completely retired and want to dive more. Does anyone have any suggestions how I could get recertified rapidly? My email is discusdoc@aol.com or tfahey@csuchico.edu.

It seems that during that period NAUI lost or destroyed certification records. I lost my NAUI "Scuba Diver" card that was issued in 1974. I was not able to verify the certification through the website or through direct email and phone communications with NAUI. There was no internal record of my having been certified.
Luckily, I was able to dig up the certification "diploma" that NAUI issued at the time. This was accepted and a new card was issued.
If I were you, since you have have your number and instructor name, I'd call them on the telephone and be prepared to go nuts on their incompetence and intransigence in this matter. NAUI is not a large operation and you should insist on talking to the person who can make things happen.
Good luck!

Later on I was able to convince NAUI to "upgrade" my 1976 "Sport Diver" to its modern day AOW equivalent.

Yeah...confirms my idea of having a hard copy (or two, in case of fire or you lose it) of anything important.
My brother got his AOW through NAUI in 1981 and recently came across the old beat up/cracked card. He did get a replacement--good thing he found the old thing. I believe that was just before computers became the normal way companies kept records in the mid 80s.

I received my scuba certificate in 1973 through a Naui course taught at San Jose State University. I have dived at least once a year since then, including many week-long trips to Cozumel, Club Med (Mexico and Tahiti), Belize, Cancun, Hawaii, and Townsville. I also wrote a chapter on hyperbaric physiology (in Brooks et al Exercise Physiology). I lost my card and Naui refuses to send a new card because they can’t find the record, even though I sent them my card number and instructor. I’m on a Caribbean cruise but am unable to dive without the card.

I’m completely retired and want to dive more. Does anyone have any suggestions how I could get recertified rapidly? My email is discusdoc@aol.com or tfahey@csuchico.edu.

why not go to the scuba dept/club at your university?

why not go to the scuba dept/club at your university?
Probably a short term, time constraint issue considering the original post stated in part: "I’m on a Caribbean cruise but am unable to dive without the card."

I read that as he is out of town & looking for a quick fix over the weekend.

it also dates back to 1973 for certification date at the college.....

Any chance one of those other places you have dived in the last few years kept an image of your lost card? Or if they even recorded the info off of it, might that be enough to satisfy NAUI?

I just had a customer contact me because he lost his ancient PADI "Basic Scuba" card, and turns out I had recorded the little info available on it when he showed it to me 5 years ago. That hasn't finished playing out yet, but I bet that if it some point I am called upon to let PADI know that I did at one point see his Basic card, and since I can provide the Instructor # and certification date, they will probably be okay with adding this diver to their database. (Yes, I do know from experience that when someone turns up with an old card that is not in their DB, they will add if for me once I send a scanned image.)

Addendum: Knowing the certification number is usually useless. If you can't be found in a database by name and DOB, then the record probably just isn't there rather than "mis-filed."

This may be a dumb question: OP is on a Caribbean cruise. If the OP could convince one of the Caribbean port dive shops (giving them his cert. number, instructor info, etc.) to give him a Nitrox class, and then he got his Nitrox cert card that same day, do you think most dive shops would let him dive if he presented the Nitrox card and said he didn't have his other cert card with him?

Nauii at some point switched to keeping computer records as opposed to filing cabintt recores. at that point ou can look up your history on line. what the started bot stopped doing was to input the past records in the filing cabinets. they also do not have the time ( so they say) to look for them.

I just looked mine up and my 2008 gas blender is there but the AOW and nitrox i done in 2003 / 2004 was not there. I asked for copies years ago and they did not have time to get them looked for. So i kept a photo copy of my cards so i can send the photo in as a chance to get a replacement if needed.

Last year I scanned all my cards, front and back, just in case. I've got copies on both my home and work computers, and both hard drives are backed up off-site.

My 1985 YMCA OW cert is the most worrisome. My 2001 AOW card is NAUI and IIRC doesn't have my number on it, just the instructor number.

Back
Top Bottom