Nauticam & dual YS-D1's for G-15 & sample shots from cannon housing.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BN16JIM

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
IMG_1746.jpgIMG_2630.jpgIMG_1770.jpgIMG_2212.jpgIMG_1987.jpg

Hi All,

I would really appreciate some advice!

I am finally breaking away from cannon housings and am also looking to introduce my first strobe. I have been saving a while so have a healthy budget. I am leaning towards the nauticam over the recsea as I prefer the layout of dials/controls. It also appears that the nauticam is a better option for lenses too?
As for strobes I am pretty set on dual YS-D1's or would any of you suggest otherwise? The nauticam appears to have twin ports to wire in these strobes. I will also look to buy a wide & macro lens and as stated before the nauticam seems to be the better option due to its 67mm thread?

I have been an avid underwater photographer for a while but have never owned a strobe! So I have limited understanding on TTL & CHDK!? And I feel at the moment my level of photography coupled with never using a strobe before I may struggle to get good results using manual!?

Am I wasting money on strobes that won't be fully compatible with the G15. ( I understand TTL wont work in manual) Presently I've been shooting mostly in P or AV modes but am very keen (as my understanding grows) to venture into manual!

Anyway, I would be very grateful for some of your excellent advice on here and hope you enjoy the photo's, all taken in Sabang, Phillippines earlier this year using a Cannon housing, with internal flash. AV Mode, Iso 100, F.5.6. Any comments on how i could improve on these shots is welcome! Thanks Jamie.

---------- Post added July 12th, 2013 at 02:05 AM ----------

Last edited:
Do you really need TTL??

I just upgraded from the G12 to OMD EM-5 (and before that the S&S DX-1G) and I have always used twin strobes but in full manual mode.

Everything I shoot is in manual mode both the camera and the strobes as I believe it gives you better control over your image. Admittedly it does take a little while to get used to it but once you master it, it becomes 2nd nature and often once I have set the strobes power setting I rarely move it anyway.

This way you choose your aperture for the DoF you want, shutter speed for motion and background lighting and then the amount of strobe light to highlight your subject.

The images below are all taken with my G12 and twin S&S YS110A strobes in manual modes - the first two images I have also used snoots to also reduce the light from hitting the background and therefore lighting up unwanted background:

12-07-18+-+56.jpg12-07-19+-+15.jpg12-07-18+-+35.jpg12-07-17+-+20.jpg110529045Ammo+Jetty.jpg

Anyway hope this helps.

Karl

Hi Karl,

Thanks for the advice. I like the idea of TTL because I don't really have experience with using a strobe and I have also never shot manual before. I'd like to make a gradual transition to manual once I have a better understanding of photography.

I will be diving with my new equipment in Sep but only for a week. I am assuming that with the YS-D1's if I stick to shooting in AV mode then TTL will apply?

Great photo's by the way love shot 2 & 3!! You where using an additional lens?

Cheers Jamie

Having 2 strobes is a big advantage in lighting. You have far more.I have tried TTL and dropped it in favor of manual.

Hi Karl,

Thanks for the advice. I like the idea of TTL because I don't really have experience with using a strobe and I have also never shot manual before. I'd like to make a gradual transition to manual once I have a better understanding of photography.

I will be diving with my new equipment in Sep but only for a week. I am assuming that with the YS-D1's if I stick to shooting in AV mode then TTL will apply?

Great photo's by the way love shot 2 & 3!! You where using an additional lens?

Cheers Jamie

Jamie,

Yes I believe that TTL will work in Av Mode just as it did with the G12; however, just be aware that if shooting macro then TTL may not always produce the results you want, which is why I shoot manual as I shoot almost exclusively macro.

Yes I have used M67 macro wet lenses on the front of the housing for the above images. With the 2nd shot I used two +3 macro wets lenses and all the others was with a single +3. I use these wet lenses - 67mm Wet Macro Lenses - Reef Images Underwater Photo Accessories - Reef Wreck & Critter - and I can't fault them.

If you haven't used wet lenses before they do take some getting used to because you have to make sure the image is sharp on your LCD screen before you focus the camera - this is because the camera is taking a photo of the 'virtual image' created on the wet lens and not directly of the subject.

Karl

Do not be afraid of manual. But do not limit yourself to manual only.

TTL is great and can do an excellent job in the majority of common situations. But it totally sucks sometimes. If you are trying to get one of those sometimes shots then you need manual.

My ttl setup of a sea and sea dx1g and dual fiber optic linked ys110 takes great pictures 70% of the time without me needing to light up any neurons. But sometimes it fails 100% of the time (think 15 ft sandy bottom on a sunny day). I am currently in the process of McGivering my rig to use wired sync cords for manual operation.

The theory behind manual is relatively simple and can be practiced at home in a closet. There is lots of online material available to learn from. Start learning tomorrow. Do not wait until you hit the water.

Save the money for two strobes and invest it on wet lenses as that will give you more shooting opportunities
A single Inon UCL165 is sufficient to achieve super macro on the G15 and you don't need two strobes for macro a single YS-D1 is more than you need but it may be worth having the extra power for wide angle later
Once you are comfortable with this your next purchase is a flat wide angle lens, you can still take good balanced light shots with a single strobe
Later on add a dome at that point also add another strobe as the additional field of view will need more lighting coverage
For what concerns TTL it is very useful especially at close range many people get bad result and overexposed pictures because they don't understand the logic of optical ttl
Check some of my Flickr galleries all macro shots are with ttl with few exceptions

I disagree dual strobes are awesome, and the camera does really well even in P mode with TTL you an see this n my sample shots imposted earlier.

I think you might consider a single bigger strobe and later add another rather than two smaller

Thanks for everyones reply's, some with excellent Photos!!

Taking everyones advice onboard as well as doing a bit more research I have decided as mentioned by Interceptor121 to scrap dual strobes (at this stage) and use the extra cash on a couple of wet len's. I shoot about 70% macro.

I am still keen on a nauitcam housing and YS-D1 strobe. No one yet has suggested a better option!? The nauticam has a 67m thread port so the Innon UCL165 will screw directly on. Can anyone advise on any other options on Macro or wide angle lens set up? Am I right in thinking on the G-15 there is no wide/semi fish eye WET lens option?
Appreciate anyones input. Thanks!

Thanks for everyones reply's, some with excellent Photos!!

Taking everyones advice onboard as well as doing a bit more research I have decided as mentioned by Interceptor121 to scrap dual strobes (at this stage) and use the extra cash on a couple of wet len's. I shoot about 70% macro.

I am still keen on a nauitcam housing and YS-D1 strobe. No one yet has suggested a better option!? The nauticam has a 67m thread port so the Innon UCL165 will screw directly on. Can anyone advise on any other options on Macro or wide angle lens set up? Am I right in thinking on the G-15 there is no wide/semi fish eye WET lens option?
Appreciate anyones input. Thanks!

The Nauticam housing is an excellent housing and will last a long time and look after your camera as they are well made housings - I have the NA EM5 for my OMD EM-5 and love it. I don't have the YS-DS1 strobes (I have the YS110As) but some of my friends do and I think they are a great strobe and when the time comes to upgrade I will be getting a set of them.

If you are interested in M67 macro wet lenses I can highly recommend the ones Jeff Mullins sells - 67mm Wet Macro Lenses - Reef Images Underwater Photo Accessories - Reef Wreck & Critter - myself and my mates all use these I can attest to their quality.

I didn't shoot a lot of wide angle with my old G12 setup as I preferred macro so I can not make any recommendations.

You will love this setup you have chosen.

Karl

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom