Nauticam Hotshoe/Bulkhead for Panasonic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Read the specs on the reefphoto link. The connector is nikonos 5 the wires connected only two
RTFM. Thanks for the informative reply.

The specs are "Hotshoe has ground and X connection only. Nikonos 5 pin style bulkhead connector" so this is really a 2 pin nikonos setup with an internal 2 wire limitation. Useful for manual only. No chance of true ttl unless you replaced the internal cable / hotshoe cpnnector to carry more than 2 signals.
but then it all depends now how many Pins your hotshoe had.

The interface for ttl on the various cameras is anyway proprietary and only offers x and ground for compatibility. Which means you need a converter. Nauticam only offers the bulkhead for people that have strobes with wired connection only as their preferred connection method is optical

The interface for ttl on the various cameras is anyway proprietary and only offers x and ground for compatibility. Which means you need a converter. Nauticam only offers the bulkhead for people that have strobes with wired connection only as their preferred connection method is optical
Once again your explanation is confusing.

You only need a converter if your camera and strobe are not "factory compatible". I have several cameras and strobes which are fully ttl compatible with no converter required. So your reply is wrong in my world and leads me to be confused.

So the real answer is "it depends". On many things. What are those things that make your answer correct? Please include them.

Your replies would be more useful if you filled in the blanks a bit and provided additional background information. Very few of us are mind readers and hence we require a fuller explanation if we are to properly understand your input.

For example: your first sentence above talks about ttl interface and only x and ground. Ttl requires more than x and ground (manual strobe trigger) so it appears that you are mixing 2 different concepts in the same sentence. Things like this confuse me. Are you discussing ttl or manual strobe operation?

Just trying to learn!

Cheers!

Thanks for the info. Good to hear that the universal/manual adapter should work. I've also been in contact with HW- their Lumix TTL adapter is not tested with the GX7, but I can gamble ~$120 to try it and possibly get TTL (and?).

Take a look at the diagrams on this Ikelite page. This will be for Ikelite connectors, not "Nikonos style" but it might help you understand why you are confused and why when we try to help, and, we might be confusing you more instead of answering your question. (Maybe we are confused also :)

Frequently Asked Questions about Cords and Connectors
Look in the section "test firing".

There is a diagram for a "Niknonos" style connector at the bottom of the page.

Thanks for the info. Good to hear that the universal/manual adapter should work. I've also been in contact with HW- their Lumix TTL adapter is not tested with the GX7, but I can gamble ~$120 to try it and possibly get TTL (and?).

What I tried to communicate earlier is that the hot shoes of the modern cameras do not follow standards, usually there are may proprietary PINs and a few pins for ISO compatibility (X and Ground) so you need much more than the Nauticam hot shoe to trigger TTL

Generally a TTL converter for a normal Pentax flash works however those do not fit in the housing hence you need a bespoke one. If Panasonic uses a standard interface for a family of products that will hold valid for all models.

What I tried to communicate earlier is that the hot shoes of the modern cameras do not follow standards, usually there are may proprietary PINs and a few pins for ISO compatibility (X and Ground) so you need much more than the Nauticam hot shoe to trigger TTL

I got it the first time. The Nauticam 25056 adapter will do X & ground as needed for manual operation, and based on your statement “I have used that part is compatible with pretty much anything. It only has a central connection with X and ground” it fits the HS and has Panasonic-compatible contact locations. That adapter is connected to only 2 of the 5 Nikonos pins. Thanks.

The Nauticam 25013 adapter I was looking at is not compatible with Panasonic/Olympus, and they don’t offer anything similar for Pan/Oly.

Generally a TTL converter for a normal Pentax flash works however those do not fit in the housing hence you need a bespoke one. If Panasonic uses a standard interface for a family of products that will hold valid for all models.
That’s why I posted looking for Panasonic experience. I’m hoping the “bespoke” (I don’t feel qualified to use that word!) HW Lumix adapter will work. I believe it will be compatible with the GX7, as there are a number of other Panasonic MF3’s listed as compatible, as are my strobes. I’ve had great success with their DA product.

There is also a 10Bar adapter no. PA-HS-PG, that appears to have all pins wired from to their Nikonos BH, so maybe the signals are directly compatible from camera to strobe. Anyone have experience with (or care to speculate on) this part?

Attachments

• 10bar-hs-pg[1].jpg
    10bar-hs-pg[1].jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 141
I got it the first time. The Nauticam 25056 adapter will do X & ground as needed for manual operation, and based on your statement “I have used that part is compatible with pretty much anything. It only has a central connection with X and ground” it fits the HS and has Panasonic-compatible contact locations. That adapter is connected to only 2 of the 5 Nikonos pins. Thanks.

The Nauticam 25013 adapter I was looking at is not compatible with Panasonic/Olympus, and they don’t offer anything similar for Pan/Oly.

That’s why I posted looking for Panasonic experience. I’m hoping the “bespoke” (I don’t feel qualified to use that word!) HW Lumix adapter will work. I believe it will be compatible with the GX7, as there are a number of other Panasonic MF3’s listed as compatible, as are my strobes. I’ve had great success with their DA product.

There is also a 10Bar adapter no. PA-HS-PG, that appears to have all pins wired from to their Nikonos BH, so maybe the signals are directly compatible from camera to strobe. Anyone have experience with (or care to speculate on) this part?

DSR-3 Did you ever find a way to make this work? I'm curious about using wired strobes with a Panasonic setup as well.

DSR-3 Did you ever find a way to make this work? I'm curious about using wired strobes with a Panasonic setup as well.
Unfortunately, no- I didn't even try. I'm still shooting my E-PL1 setup, as I have dumped all of my hobby-money into a completely different project (building a kit car). I still think it will work somehow, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom