Nauticam na-em5 housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PHIL RUDIN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just got home from Reef Photo Video with my new Nauticam NA-EM5 housing for the Olympus E-M5 camera. Won't bore with lots of photos of the housing since many quality images can be found already. I did attach the NA-EM5 being in the center center with a Nauticam NA-XZ-1 (compact) and Nauticam NA-7D (DSLR) housing to get an idea of the size differences between housings.

PHILRUDIN-AUGMASTR-1.JPG-7842.jpgPHILRUDIN-AUGMASTR-1.JPG-7847.jpg

I will start shooting some macro using the Panasonic 45 in the morning. So far quite impressed with the ergonomics of this housing.

They may still have one in stock if someone is interested.

Phil Rudin

Phil:

Exciting!

I have three questions:

1. What port are you using for the pany 45, and I'm eager to know how it works once you've had a chance to try it out.

2. Is it possible for a person with medium size hands (my wife) to work both control wheels without changing hand position? I know Nauticam's literature says it is, but i'm eager to hear an independent view.

3. Is it possible to half press the shutter button? The shutter button on our Oly housing/EPL-2 seems to be an all or nothing kind of thing.

Thanks,
Dennis

Last edited:
Phil:

1. What port are you using for the pany 45, and I'm eager to know how it works once you've had a chance to try it out.

3. Is it possible to half press the shutter button? The shutter button on our Oly housing/EPL-2 seems to be an all or nothing kind of thing.

Dennis

Hi Dennis,
It's the same port as used for the 30mm Sony for the Nex system.
I don't understand how you can be having any troubles with the half-push of the Olympus housing? I also use this housing with my EPL-2 and find that it is wonderfully sensitive for focusing. . .either practise some more or maybe you got a 'brummy' one?
Bruce

Terson:

I guess we got a brummy one. Between my wife and I we've had the Oly housing on about 75 dives and we can't reliably do a half press on the shutter. I'm hoping for better with the OM-D and the Nauticam housing.

PHILRUDIN-AUGMASTR-1.JPG-7200013.jpgPHILRUDIN-AUGMASTR-1.JPG-7200058.jpgPHILRUDIN-AUGMASTR-1.JPG-7200069.jpgPHILRUDIN-AUGMASTR-1.JPG-7200079.jpg

The half press on the E-M5 works very well in the Nauticam housing. You can also put A/F on the Fn1 button on the rear of the housing so that you AF with that control and use the shutter release to take the shot. This can work very well once you get the hang of it. The camera tray is designed so that you can make a battery change and SD card change without removeing the tray. A wedge has been placed in the front of the housing which will pop the camera flash up as it is being installed if you forget to do so.

As Bruce said the Panasonic 45 macro uses the same 67mm threaded port Nauticam port that is used for the 30mm macro on the NEX housings. I used it today with the flip adapter for the Subsea +10 closeup lens.

The Nauticam housing is smaller than the Olympus housing for the E-M5 and I don't think small hands will have any problem reaching the controls holding the housing and using the wrist support strap.

I did a short dive today and have attached four images with the Panasonic 45 macro, eye ball shots with the +10 lens.

Phil Rudin

Good news about the "wedge." Obviously a last minute change from the prototype. It is very easy to knock the flash "down." Hope to have my housing in the next few weeks. Thanks for the reviews.

Each configuration of housing, strobes, lens and port are different.

Small housings, strobes and ports tend not to hold as much air so and up being negative. I use float arms from Inon which I have owned for years and used with DSLR's. I use Inon Z-240 strobes and a ring flash most of the time and these are small as well compared to many strobes. The NA-E-M5 housing is designed to be held with the right hand not by the right hand grip for best access to the controls. This is very nice but does tend to fatigue the right hand after a few hours of diving. Adding the float arms or StiX type floats to your strobe arms can help in this regard. It is a bit of trial and error to work out the right amount of floatation for your needs.

Phil Rudin

StiX Large Float for ULCS Arms [sx.ful.2] - $25.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

Thanks for keeping us updated Phil !

I got my E-M5 literally the day before I left for a hiking trip, most impressed to say the least.

I am going to hold off housing the camera at least until the 60mm macro is released and then have a look at what ports are available.

Wonder if there will me a m4/3 teleconverter available sometime like the 4/3rds 1.4 and 2.0 that I enjoy using so much?

Back
Top Bottom