Nauticam NEX-7 housing announced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PHIL RUDIN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
For those interested Nauticam has announced a housing for the NEX-7 which makes use of all controls and both the OLED, EVF and LCD.

Info. at nauticamusa.com and wetpixel.com

Phil Rudin

Attachments

• Assem-NEX7_Housing2.jpg
    Assem-NEX7_Housing2.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 776
I'm waiting for the Nauticam housing for the new Panasonic Gx-1, but even this housing for the Sony Nex 7 is very very interesting.
The only problem is that all this set (Nauticam housing, Macro Port + Dome port, Sony Nex 7 + macro and wide lenses) is too much expensive :(
Scipionems

The Nauticam NA-D7000V Has, from the NauticamUSA website
"Customizable Accessory Port (allowing use of optional Nikonos, S6, or Ikelite Strobe Connectors, Hydrophone, HDMI Video Out, or Remote Control Connectors)"

The NEX-7 housing also has an accessory port, I would not rule out that port being able to support HDMI video out.

The cutout for the pickup finder will be smaller than the one used for the current 45 degree finder which would block the LCD a bit. Remains to be seen if a custom installation may work.

Phil Rudin
d7000v-01.jpgDSC_0095.jpgAssem-NEX7_Housing1.jpg

The Nauticam NA-D7000V Has, from the NauticamUSA website
"Customizable Accessory Port (allowing use of optional Nikonos, S6, or Ikelite Strobe Connectors, Hydrophone, HDMI Video Out, or Remote Control Connectors)"

The NEX-7 housing also has an accessory port, I would not rule out that port being able to support HDMI video out.

The cutout for the pickup finder will be smaller than the one used for the current 45 degree finder which would block the LCD a bit. Remains to be seen if a custom installation may work.

Phil Rudin
View attachment 111288View attachment 111289View attachment 111290

Thanks Phil,

The hdmi port sounds promising especially if you can use an external monitor to compose shots. I agree the 45 degree finder would block the LCD but I think it would mostly be used by people taking macro photos where it can be hard to use the LCD anyway.

I am told the current viewfinders will not work with it, but that there may be new viewfinders available, if there is demand.

Jack

I have an NEX-7 on loan for a few days and so far I am very impressed. The menu is still a bit challenging but for Underwater photography I stick to manual mode about 99.5% of the time. The two key features for me in addition to size and build quality are the Trinavi system and the OLED viewfinder. This is the only camera (including SLR and DSLR) I have ever used that has three one touch controls. In manual mode I can change shutter speed, F/stop and ISO settings using my right thumb while holding the camera and looking into the viewfinder. It is the most intuitive system I have seen. No button push is required to change any of the three settings. The assignment of functions can be changed for any shooting style.

While the NEX-5n has excellent image quality, what will set the NEX-7 apart is the build quality, Trinavi controls and OLED viewfinder.

The OLED viewfinder is the second key feature. I have used cameras with optical viewfinders for over fifty years now and I have been blown away by this new viewing system. It is large (much larger than APS-C optical viewfinders) and useful. I have it setup so that I see the histogram and can make changes for ambient light without removing my eye by moving F/stop, shutter speed or ISO.

Not to have a 45 degree finder to help make use of the OLED would be a shame.

Phil Rudin

Phil: Does the Nex-7 have a mode where it will only fire if there is something in focus? I like my Nex-5 but many shots are blurry since it will fire even if there is nothing in focus.
Bill

in action... where is the proper macro lens for this awesome camera??? The 30mm one is way too short. I cannot find a TC or another lens. Does anybody know if anything coming down the road?

Phil: Does the Nex-7 have a mode where it will only fire if there is something in focus? I like my Nex-5 but many shots are blurry since it will fire even if there is nothing in focus.
Bill
I just tried to take some photos then with mine and it wouldn't let me take a picture without focusing on something unless it was in manual mode (as expected). Could be a possible issue with your camera?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom