Nautilus Guadalupe July Season Openers - worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@togatown based on the FAQ, I assume you bring your own exposure suit but no reg/bcd needed for the cage dives, right? Did anyone bring dry suit on your trip?

I think I saw that viral video on facebook. How thrilling lol!
Please look at this incident with some prespective. It wasn't so thrilling for the diver who was in the cage when the shark breeched over where the diver was standing. I visited with the diver after the incident. It wasn't a big thrill for the shark that swam away bleeding after they pulled him free. Sure, white sharks are tough, but one of the points of doing Guadalupe trips is to observe without doing harm. Having a chum bag inside the cage with divers is just an accident waiting to happen. Having an observer on board is a good thing. I enjoyed the company of the observers who were on board during my Guadalupe trips.

-AZTinman

@togatown based on the FAQ, I assume you bring your own exposure suit but no reg/bcd needed for the cage dives, right? Did anyone bring dry suit on your trip?

Regarding your exposure suit question...

If you plan to book a trip, just visit with your operator regarding their recommendations.

I've never seen anyone using a dry suit when I've gone. Many of the folks who were on trips with me were supplied with wetsuits by the operator. Keep in mind that scuba certification isn't necessary for cage diving on Hookah rigs. Many of those who weren't scuba certified didn't own any kind of scuba equipment. Ill-fitting wetsuits were a problem. Some of these people did not provide accurate sizing information for the operator. It's next to impossible to squeeze someone who's a size XXXL into an XL suit.

I've done the trip using both my 7/8 mil semi-dry suit and 5 mil with a 2 mil jacket underneath. I definitely noticed the cold more during periods of no shark activity in the 5 mil. The 7/8 mil kept me toasty even when the action was slow.

-AZTinman

Regarding your exposure suit question...

If you plan to book a trip, just visit with your operator regarding their recommendations.

I've never seen anyone using a dry suit when I've gone. Many of the folks who were on trips with me were supplied with wetsuits by the operator. Keep in mind that scuba certification isn't necessary for cage diving on Hookah rigs. Many of those who weren't scuba certified didn't own any kind of scuba equipment. Ill-fitting wetsuits were a problem. Some of these people did not provide accurate sizing information for the operator. It's next to impossible to squeeze someone who's a size XXXL into an XL suit.

I've done the trip using both my 7/8 mil semi-dry suit and 5 mil with a 2 mil jacket underneath. I definitely noticed the cold more during periods of no shark activity in the 5 mil. The 7/8 mil kept me toasty even when the action was slow.

-AZTinman

Perfect. Thanks! The operator site said bringing your own 5/7mm + hooded vest...I checked the water temperature for July and it seemed high 60s is likely. The reason I asked about dry suit is because I only own 3mm full and shorty and dry suite. I normally only dive in warm tropical waters or in super cold water in Canada:)

Please look at this incident with some prespective. It wasn't so thrilling for the diver who was in the cage when the shark breeched over where the diver was standing. I visited with the diver after the incident. It wasn't a big thrill for the shark that swam away bleeding after they pulled him free. Sure, white sharks are tough, but one of the points of doing Guadalupe trips is to observe without doing harm. Having a chum bag inside the cage with divers is just an accident waiting to happen. Having an observer on board is a good thing. I enjoyed the company of the observers who were on board during my Guadalupe trips.

-AZTinman

They suspend a canvas "chum" bag off the back of the boat between the two surface cages. Not sure what was in them, but they weren't weeping fish blood.

I brought my own 7mm wetsuit,boots and hood. Almost everyone had 5-7 mm wetsuits, except Captain Lowell, who went in with just a T-shirt and shorts! The crew called him muy loco, lol! My wife rented one as did many others onboard.

No reg/bcd needed as you are on hookah, and they give you a very heavy weight belt to keep you down.

They suspend a canvas "chum" bag off the back of the boat between the two surface cages. Not sure what was in them, but they weren't weeping fish blood.

They've changed their methods to address safety issues and operate within the rules. I remember someone posting a video on this board a few years ago that showed divers jumping and stomping on the chum bag inside their cages.

I don't remember if the Biosphere rules allow operators to use fish blood. Blood gets the sharks pretty jazzed-up (I've seen it have that effect) and it's not really safe for the sharks or the divers. Again, the idea is to observe the sharks without doing harm.

-AZTinman

I'm signed up to do this dive in mid-September... Any idea what the temps will be like?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom