Nautilus Lifeline and Diver Lost for 13 Hours in Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh I agree but there has to be a limit. Its like never servicing a Reg IMHO I want a reliable Reg but sometimes it has to be serviced.
Sent from my DROID X2

Isn't it exactly the same? Most mfg's recommend servicing your reg every 12 months or 100 dives. The Nautilus said it would last 6 months without charge. You'd expect your reg to work fine after 30 dives or 4 months right? As long as it breathed OK on the surface, or the Nautilus had the appropriate light on, you'd jump right into the water.

The firmware updates with a full battery load test sounds like a great idea.

Did you mean to say its not the same? I don't know about you but I check my regulator a little more closely than that. But I understand your statement. I'm just saying I think a little more responsibility falls on the end user. Again provided nautilus meets their responsibility.

Sent from my DROID X2

Thanks for the input guys, our engineering and development teams are tackling this head-on. I've personally been in the development meetings (for the sake of bringing this information to you) and excellent ideas are already in implementation with the version 0.60 beta. We're now accepting beta testers, so please email Mike directly if you would like to be a part of the beta. mike@nautilusexplorer.com

Best,

Nautilus Lifeline

Thanks for the feedback Mike

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

My dive buddy and I both have a Lifeline for boat/shore diving in Monterey and Carmel. We are also planning to use them in May while diving Tubbataha Reefs in the Philippines. Much like a dive computer, it is probably a good plan to check the battery level before a dive day or trip. A radio test also seems like a solid pre-dive check.

While initially alarmed with the Hawaii incident, I can say the Lifeline team has been responsive to issues and really seems committed to improving the unit and as a result, diver safety. After an initial firmware upgrade problem and some glitches charging via an AC to USB charger, my Lifeline has been on several ocean dives down to 80+ feet. Zero signs of a problem.

Anyway, just wanted to add my positive experiences to the discussion for those of you sitting on the fence. The Lifeline seems like an excellent "insurance policy" should something go wrong on a dive. I expect units like it will become a new standard for ocean diving safety equipment in the future.

Thanks for the input guys, our engineering and development teams are tackling this head-on. I've personally been in the development meetings (for the sake of bringing this information to you) and excellent ideas are already in implementation with the version 0.60 beta. We're now accepting beta testers, so please email Mike directly if you would like to be a part of the beta. mike@nautilusexplorer.com

Best,

Nautilus Lifeline

When do you expect version 0.60 to be available to the public in your units?

When do you expect version 0.60 to be available to the public in your units?

Hello cardzard, thank you for the question. Version 0.60 just entered the beta testing phase today and will be going through testing for a short time. Our goal in this is to ensure that it gets out quickly, but is sufficiently tested before release. I will be keeping you folks updated here on Scubaboard as the beta proceeds.

All the best from the Lifeline team.

Hello cardzard, thank you for the question. Version 0.60 just entered the beta testing phase today and will be going through testing for a short time. Our goal in this is to ensure that it gets out quickly, but is sufficiently tested before release. I will be keeping you folks updated here on Scubaboard as the beta proceeds.

All the best from the Lifeline team.

Thanks for your quick reply

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Nautilus Lifeline v.64 firmware update is available for download at www.nautiluslifeline.com.

v.64 firmware update is available for download at www.nautiluslifeline.com. We now have more than 7000 Lifeline 2-way marine radio and GPS units in the field and have been listening intently to user feedback. We are immensely gratified with reports from many users who have already put their Lifelines to good use in difficult situations. Unfortunately, there have also been several incidents in which units didn't work because the battery charge was low and a couple of incidents when units switched off unexpectedly. This firmware update incorporates the following improvements:

i. Self-diagnostic test. Depress the orange button 3 times to enter self test mode. Position indicating light will test and flash. Battery voltage will be measured to ensure adequate capacity for 30 minutes of talk time and 24 hours emergency distress. Followed by a transmit load test, measurement of internal circuit resistance and a battery voltage droop test. If all parameters are working properly, the self-test will conclude with the message "good to go". Press the orange button once more and you are ready to go diving. NOTE: we highly recommend that before any dive weekend or dive trip, you charge the battery to 100%, inspect the 0-ring and usb port cover to ensure they are perfectly clean and installed correctly, and run the self-diagnostic test..

ii. Manual activation of the position indicating light "strobe". Press the green button twice to manually activate 2 light flashes every 30 seconds to catch the attention of your diveboat. Press any button to turn this feature off. The light will also turn off automatically leaving enough battery reserve for 30 minutes of talk time and 24 hours of distress transmission.

iii. Lifelines shutting off unexpectedly. 3 Lifelines have experienced a power down during normal operation. To ensure your Lifeline is working perfectly, we recommend the following test: Ensure you have updated your firmware to v.64. Turn your unit on. Point the antenna at a metal object and hold the antenna 1/2" away from the object. Metal object can be a cookie sheet, fire extinguisher, fridge or almost anything metal. Depress the green button for 3 seconds. If your unit shuts down, please call or email us right away.

We wish you safe diving and strongly encourage all Lifeline users to ensure that your firmware is up to date with v.64.

Captain Mike and the team at the Nautilus Lifeline.

Back
Top Bottom