For Sale Nautilus Lifeline - Discontinued version - VHF

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had mine for a couple of years and absolutely love it. The big thing with them is to stay on top of the oring and make sure it's clean and lubricated.

I've had mine for a couple of years and absolutely love it. The big thing with them is to stay on top of the oring and make sure it's clean and lubricated.

What lubricant do you use?

I believe the reason they were discontinued was because the operator of the radio under law has to hold a vhf licence.

So if you can see your boat but they can’t see you, you have to call emergency services and everyone in 30 mike radius with gps rather than call your boat back to you alone.

How ridiculous.
You would *think* that they'd still offer the VHF option for folks who can provide proof of one... oy vey.

Except that's not the reason they discontinued it. My understanding is that the FCC regs changed and it was no longer acceptable to have the DSC and chat feature share the same transmitter. In the old versions, using the chat interrupted the emergency features. The options were either add a second independent transmitter or delete that chat function.

My terminology might be off, but that's the gist of what I was told. I don't think this had anything to do with the fact that end users might not have an appropriate license. Nobody "cards" you before you buy all sorts of radio equipment. That's the user's responsibility not the manufacturer's.

Back
Top Bottom