Nautilus Lifeline radios no longer eligible for MMSI registration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The way I look at it is this. Even if I'm overseas where my MMSI doesn't mean anything. At least I have a radio broadcasting something including some GPS coordinates. If I'm missing in the ocean and anyone is looking for me that will be a huge help. Maybe the answer is just to do the emergency broadcast and not have the unique *government issued* identifier.

Nothing would stop nautilus or some other organization from allowing users to submit personal information to be associated with the distress call. Then the information could be made available for remote access by public safety organizations on the internet. Of course those orgs would have to radio the ID in for someone to reference or they (probably already have) would need satellite internet.

Frankly, if I'm floating around lost in the ocean I'd rather be found and face the music for an illegal transmission than dead/not found.

Interesting that ofcom says they issue a unique mmsi for each radio on a ship where apparently uscg duplicates mmsi between all radios on a ship? Or do I misunderstand?

Interesting that ofcom says they issue a unique mmsi for each radio on a ship where apparently uscg duplicates mmsi between all radios on a ship? Or do I misunderstand?

Can you point me at something that makes you think USCG assigns the IDs that way?

Can you point me at something that makes you think USCG assigns the IDs that way?

Well, on the USCG Website Here: Maritime Mobile Service Identity

It says:

Obtaining MMSIs for DSC-equipped VHF Handhelds

A handheld VHF transceiver with DSC and an integral global navigation satellite system (e.g. GPS) not intended for dedicated use on a particular ship (e.g. a diver’s radio) should be assigned a unique 9-digit number in the format 81M2I3D4X5X6X7X8X9. While currently means do not exist within the U.S. to assign such identities, the Coast Guard has been in discussions with the Federal communications Commission and others on implementing them.

In the interim, VHF handhelds used in the United States should use the MMSI assigned to the ship to which the handheld is primarily associated, even if another radio on that ship uses the same MMSI. Non-commercial users of VHF handhelds not primarily associated with any single ship may use an MMSI provided by an organization such as BOAT US, SEA TOW and U.S. Power Squadron (see above). VHF handhelds should not be used ashore absent FCC or NTIA authorization allowing such use.

Emphasis mine.

But really I made the statement based on the assumption turisops was correct in his previous post.

That information on the USCG site would seem to support my theory of a falling out between Nautilus and BoatUS. It sure would be nice if Nautilus would make a statement on the matter.

As an aside, the sea-tow website says they are no longer providing mmsi registrations of any kind. They are still allowing updates.

The confusion may have been the way i stated something earlier. It is not that multiple radios have the same MMSI on a given ship, but rather that all those MMSIs are tagged to the same ship/call-sign. I'm sure Wookie will set me straight if I've got it wrong!

Earlier I was trying to hypothesize a situation where the multiple radios are all tagged to the same dive boat....

Subscribers to what? Snail mail or email?
I'm a LL users, bought it from the company, duly registered with the company and with BoatUS, have received nothing from the company.

As I stated, I am a BoatUS Member and subscriber. I received a mail, addressed to subscribers, stating that they (Boat US) would no longer be accepting MMSI registrations for Dive Radios, and If I needed to update anything to login to the site. It stated something to the effect that it was under a directive of the USCG and FCC.

Your status, how you acquired your unit and the status of your mail delivery are all outside of my scope.

---------- Post added March 14th, 2015 at 05:34 PM ----------

Tursiops,

You may want to check your manual, it may have information different than mine. In my manual, it included a sheet that states use of the Nautilus in waters outside the US and Canada may result in the operators arrest. In the manual itself, it does not include the fear of arrest, but does states that the Radio and MMSI number do not meet minimum needs for operation in most countries and that a Short Range Certificate are required.

Tursiops,

You may want to check your manual, it may have information different than mine. In my manual, it included a sheet that states use of the Nautilus in waters outside the US and Canada may result in the operators arrest. In the manual itself, it does not include the fear of arrest, but does states that the Radio and MMSI number do not meet minimum needs for operation in most countries and that a Short Range Certificate are required.
Thanks for the heads-up.
My original manual is old (I was an early adopter), the current manual is much improved, but both say:
"THE LIFELINE CAN BE USED IN AN EMERGENCY ANYTIME, ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD"

This is the important thing to me! Except in the U.S., where I actually hold a commercial radio license from the FCC for marine VHF (and SSB) use, I do not expect to be chatting on Ch 16 or whatever the boat's operations channel is. If I open it up and turn it on, it is Mayday or Pan-Pan; if my Buddy (usually wife) is nervous, maybe Securite.

If you follow these three steps and truly believe your in a live threatening situation I can't believe you will be arrested anywhere in the world. Non emergency chatting on channel 16 (basically using it as a common channel) or using the Red distress button when no emergency exists should get you in trouble anywhere.

Divers should be instructed on the simple operation of the lifeline. Which with latest update 1.02 is a huge improvement.

First step ........Use the green button to communicate with dive boat. Read GPS coordinates during broadcast.
If no response., see next step.

Second step.... Use orange button which should be set to the emergency channel 16 that should be monitored by all boats. Say, Diver to call sign of your dive boat. Read GPS coordinates during broadcast. Your boat will probably respond asking which channel your green button is set to and proceed accordingly clearing channel 16. If no respond, ask for any boat assistance.
If no response., see next step.

Last resort.......Use the red button that will broadcast a digital message with MMSI and GPS coordinates. Which will travel much further than a voice transmission. Similar to a text massage needing one bar versus a cell call which needs a stronger signal. At this point, the Nautilus will broadcast distress message at a set interval. I would clip it to one end of my SMB to get as high as possible as I float waiting for help. I couldn't imagine spending an extended amount of time with my arm raised out of the water.

YMMV

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads-up.
My original manual is old (I was an early adopter), the current manual is much improved, but both say:
"THE LIFELINE CAN BE USED IN AN EMERGENCY ANYTIME, ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD"

This is the important thing to me! Except in the U.S., where I actually hold a commercial radio license from the FCC for marine VHF (and SSB) use, I do not expect to be chatting on Ch 16 or whatever the boat's operations channel is. If I open it up and turn it on, it is Mayday or Pan-Pan; if my Buddy (usually wife) is nervous, maybe Securite.

Same here.. if I'm diving, I'm diving. I don't want to chat with a boat while I float unless it's an emergency. Personally I'd have been just as happy to buy the radio if it only had the two red buttons.

I do have an FCC Amateur license, but it certainly does not cover operation between 156.0 and 162.025 MHz.

Back
Top Bottom