Nautilus Lifeline radios no longer eligible for MMSI registration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anyone heard any more on the Nautilus Lifeline and MMSI numbers? I was all ready to pull the trigger and then came across this thread. If I can not acquire an MMSI number through the FCC for international use, then it is pointless. I would like to use it in my ditch bag while boating, but also when I travel for diving. I think I might be better off just buying a PLB and a dive canister. Thoughts?

Michael

Old Thread But I thought I'd chime in.

Please note that different countries have different laws regarding issuing MMSI numbers.
I'm an Aussi so in Australia:

Maritime Identities for Handheld "portable" VHF DSC transceivers

AMSA recognises the safety potentialof VHF marine transceivers with DSC capability. AMSA's policy for these units is to allocate MMSIs to individual radio transceivers rather than to a single vessel-specific MMSI (on a case-by-case basis). In Australia, until January 2012, these transceivers' maritime identities had the format 5039xxxxx where x is any figure from 0 to 9.
From January 2012, Australian handheld VHF transceivers with DSC now use the maritime identity format 8503xxxxx, where x is any figure from 0 to 9, in accordance with Recommendation ITU-R M.585-6, Annex II, Section I.
When a handheld VHF transceiver with DSC changes ownership, AMSA is to be advised of the new owner's details.
Please note that handheld VHF transceivers with DSC are issued to persons, rather than vessels, in recognition that these transceivers can move between vessels.
The requirement to present a copy of an appropriate radio operator's qualification when applying for an MMSI also applies to MMSIs requested for the 'portable' VHF DSC transceivers described above.
Please contact AMSA for any further information.

Diver Handheld VHF DSC transceivers

Effective as from November 2013, the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) does not mandate a marine radio operator certificate prior to the issuing of an MMSI for personally attached diver VHF radios, that offer a digital selective calling transmit capability, and limited voice communications. This presumes that the radio operator in the diving boat (mother vessel) is qualified. In the case of lone divers not operating from boats, the requirement for a marine radio operator certificate remains.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom