Nautilus Lifeline

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thinking about purchasing a Nautilus Lifeline Radio that I saw advertised in Dive Training Mag. I have been doing some research and everything I read says this is a must have (esp drift dive). It seems a bit expensive but how do you put a price on your life! Does anyone own one of these and how do you like it? Or is there something better out there?

Thanks in advance for your replies...

There are some limitations to only having the old Nautilus Lifeline Radio with you when you are lost at sea such as;
- low battery when you want to use it,
- flooding it when cap unlatched underwater,
- out of radio signal range to any marine radios
- no boat around to listen to your distress signal,
- etc.

So some alternative signaling devices are also be useful to have as discuss here: Best signaling devices from the searcher’s point of view - update

There are some limitations to only having the old Nautilus Lifeline Radio with you when you are lost at sea such as;
- low battery when you want to use it,
- flooding it when cap unlatched underwater,
- out of radio signal range to any marine radios
- no boat around to listen to your distress signal,
- etc.

So some alternative signaling devices are also be useful to have as discuss here: Best signaling devices from the searcher’s point of view - update

OK..., Low battery equals poor preparation.
Flooding is the same with both units, if I'm not mistaken.
Isn't the radio range about 2-3 miles? Seems like a non-starter, unless someone's intentionally trying to get rid of you.
I think the distress signal goes quite a bit further. Again, unless someone is trying to get rid of you...
I have no idea what etcetera means in this forum.

Out of the first four things you list, in order of importance, for your signaling devices, only the signaling mirror could possibly have greater range than a radio with a decent charge. I'm a little surprised a decent whistle isn't on the list. https://www.amazon.com/All-Weather-...ocphy=9010863&hvtargid=pla-306845572476&psc=1

To expand upon the situation where I needed the Lifeline...

We tried waving the SMB but the tender (small boat) didn't see us. We could see them, but they weren't looking for us, as we were in the wrong location and surfaced ahead of the expected time. We were fighting current below, trying to get to the pickup spot but eventually gave up due to low on air situation. We also tried manual whistles and a Dive Alert whistle. Neither whistles worked.

Between the Lifeline Radio and Lifeline Rescue, I chose the Radio because the liveaboard I chose for Komodo had radio and DSC but not AIS.

The new models come with DSC and from what I understand this allows you to operate in 2 way radio mode but on channel 70. Is this correct?
No.

All 4 failures are what I have read from users. The etc. is another failure that I remember reading, but don’t remember specifically what it is at the time I wrote the post. Since you ask about it, I searched for it and found it: Nautilus Lifeline: User Error or Gear Malfunction?: Undercurrent 04/2012

I bet Dive Alert is much louder than that whistle. I accidentally pressed the button while gearing up on the boat, my dive buddy almost killed me from the shock. Since then, I had to put my head underwater & alert everyone about it before I pressed the button while floating on the surface with skiff too far away to see us .
Isn't the radio range about 2-3 miles? Seems like a non-starter, unless someone's intentionally trying to get rid of you.
I think the distress signal goes quite a bit further. Again, unless someone is trying to get rid of you...

Out of the first four things you list, in order of importance, for your signaling devices, only the signaling mirror could possibly have greater range than a radio with a decent charge. I'm a little surprised a decent whistle isn't on the list. [URL]https://www.amazon.com/All-Weather-Whistles-Safety-Whistle/dp/B001H8FJIW/ref=asc_df_B001H8FJIW/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167126940649&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17045263765281325744&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010863&hvtargid=pla-306845572476&psc=1
[/URL]

I don't doubt that it is, until your tank is out of air.

I do carry a whistle too as a backup, as you can see in the picture, the orange rectangle piece between the spool & SMB. It’s a small & light thing that you can clip it on to other devices without taking much space.

32022AB9-D5BB-459A-8748-7DC7725054A2.jpeg

Out of the first four things you list, in order of importance, for your signaling devices, only the signaling mirror could possibly have greater range than a radio with a decent charge. I'm a little surprised a decent whistle isn't on the list. https://www.amazon.com/All-Weather-...ocphy=9010863&hvtargid=pla-306845572476&psc=1
Snoweman that's a check on the whistle!!

I do carry a whistle too as a backup, as you can see in the picture, the orange rectangle piece between the spool & SMB. It’s a small & light thing that you can clip it on to other devices without taking much space.
View attachment 486960
@Dan_T If you don't mind me asking something related but OT ...
Is that the TekTite Mark-Lite LED Strobe?
How do you like it?
Does it use standard 1.5V AAs or the 3.7V Lithium AA-size batteries? - I find conflicting info.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom