NC Fatality?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve_C

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Have heard comments about a fatality off the southern part of the NC coast during memorial day weekend 2019. Will not repeat them since all second hand. There seems to be no reports in the local news. And some folks are being very tight lipped. Any one seen any public information or reports?

I heard this too but haven't seen it in print anywhere.

I was on AS boat to the Rosin on Saturday and everything went fine. I was scheduled to go the Cassimir on Sunday with AS but that dive was canceled due to rough seas.

I am also waiting for details.
Saw where several people reported on CG radio transmissions.
Seemed to be around the meg ledge.
So sad

I only know what I heard on the CG call and from one of the divers on our boat who is closely connected to the crew of the vessel involved.

Details of the call follow (which I consider public information)

The call identified an unresponsive patient after a scuba dive as a 56 year old woman. CPR was being performed. The incident happened at the beginning of a 94 ft dive, the first dive of the day. The boat she was diving from came from Carolina Beach. Name intentionally withheld. It was believed the woman had not dived during the previous 24 hours. The victim’s scuba cylinder was almost full. The cylinder required 2-4 turns to close. The type of valve was not mentioned. Both the vessel she was diving from and another vessel Sea Urchin from Bridgetender marina in Wrightsville that rendered assistance and was in possession of her gear were initially instructed to proceed toward Masonboro inlet to meet a coast guard rescue ship. We learned later from crew member that the woman didn’t make it.

Following as well. There was talk in the NC scuba group but no details other than it being at the meg ledge were posted.

How many 360-degree turns do you need to completely open a scuba cylinder?
Depends on the valve, some are a lot less than others.

A slightly open cylinder will still supply air, 3-4 turns on any valve type are more then enough to suck air trough the reg or inflate the bcd.

So maybe a panicking diver due to the reg being hard to breathe?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom