NC Fatality?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whatever happened to no longer needing to do the quarter turn to save damaging the tank?

because it doesnt damage the tank? it crushes a 1/4" oring on the stem that is made to be crushed periodically, easy to replace, and basically takes years to wear out and leak anyway. How many valves leak through the stem? basically none compared to neck orings, burst disk champagne leaks, and reg to valve leaks.

When you are stressed and fiddling with a valve that may have rolled off behind your head this is the last thing you want to be thinking 3 times about
What ever happened to lefty loosey righty tighty?
Whatever happened to no longer needing to do the quarter turn to save damaging the tank?

Not having the valve cranked open allows someone to verify the position in an instant. It is not just an issue with an o ring. It avoids confusion if the valve is not left cranked open hard.

...if I grab a tank valve of a diver who is ready to splash, and it does NOT move back and forth, then it presents a question. Is the valve completely shut or is it cranked open? You really can't tell without applying considerable force

Exactly what I meant, and why I'll never leave a valve against the open stop. If it turns easily at the first attempt, it CANNOT be damaged by the ham fisted :) Thank you!

I have tried a couple of my tank valves, and at 1/4 turn open they will pass any but the most aggressive tank check. My training was to make the tank check to insure you had air, not to check if the tank was open, which can only be done by checking the valve itself. If you have a problem getting air as you decend, surface and check the valve first.

Agreed.

Out of interest, I've just check my tanks and valves (bored today)

Each of my valves has 3 compete revolutions of the hand wheel from open to close. The spg will only have some deflection for the first one half of a turn (or 16% of total operation of valve) After that it remains stable. Purging (obviously) gets a bigger deflection over breathing

This is why I teach ( and perform) physical checks on my valves to ensure fully open, and the "standard breathing test" just shows if the tanks has been opened and closed or is just open a "crack". I consider it bad practice to leave hoses pressurised with the tank valve off.

One of the downsides of Neg entries or "hot drops" is that divers become task fixated on the way down, and could easily be transitioning into something akin to a lawn dart when they lose gas pressure (through a partially closed valve).

While I can reach my valve in a controlled no pressure situation (in a pool demonstration the gas off skill during OW) I'm under no illusions, that f it happened for real the fastest and surest way to reach my valve would be to slip my left arm out of my strap, twist my rig round and access it that way. Something I've practiced many times - but (touch wood) never needed in real life.

I try to instill in people that they should consider the "what if", have a contingency, practice and refine it. It's' never the best to assume that a plan/procedure you've read about on the internet will work in a time of stress. Worse still if someone finds out it actually doesn't.

...I'm under no illusions, that f it happened for real the fastest and surest way to reach my valve would be to slip my left arm out of my strap, twist my rig round and access it that way

I was lucky enough to start my diving with an instructor who always sidemounted and I really wanted to look as horizontal and cool as him. I mean I wanted to carry more air :) So 15 dives in I jumped on a course he was running and what a difference it made to an air-hogging noob scared of his own bubbles...

Having all the bits that control your gas supply sitting in plain sight (my gauges point forward, one dial aimed at each eyeball, a tiny snagging hazard that's totally worth it) and easy reach makes things so relaxed.

I honestly don't think my heart would even speed up if I sucked my reg flat on a negative entry, cos the valves come to hand instinctively, gas pressures are literally in my face without turning my head, and being totally independent I'd calmly assume that at least ONE tank had gas.

But they're so easy to reach that I constantly check them before I jump in - before clipping them on, after clipping them on, when I'm leaning on something waiting to go, just before I jump.. sh1t I'm wearing my valves out!

Sorry, ranting... sometimes the passion leaks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom