NDR: Shipping a package from MIA airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drew Sailbum

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Flying GCM --> MIA --> CTG and I really need to ship a package out (warranty repair on laptop) while in Miami but the airport post office is closed on Saturdays. I will be transiting MIA on a Saturday and only have a 3 hour layover and must clear immigration and Customs.

Anyone know how large the US Post Office drop boxes are at MIA? Big enough to put a properly packaged laptop in? Or any other way to ship a package on a Saturday without leaving the airport?

If I can manage to ship this while in the States it is a major difference in shipping cost.

Your package is NOT going to fit into any mailbox. The slots are only made to hold certain sized items and a lapbox is not one of them. Try to find a packing and shipping store in your area. Sometimes they are right outside the airport. You can also see if one of them would be willing to come and pick it up. I am sure there will be a pick up fee.

I would also like to add that a computer would be better to ship with a real tracking number, such as UPS or Fedex.

You could ship it over the counter at the Fedex MIA airport location.
FedEx World Service Center
6100 NW 36th St
Miami, FL 33166
It's in the Air Freight terminal just north of the airport. Maybe there's a MIA shuttle bus?

They also only accept shipments between 12-8PM. And you'd have to ship it using some form of Express - Fedex Ground doesn't accept packages on Saturday. I've seen 2nd Day Express be almost as cheap as USPS depending on the weight/destination. And as mentioned above, you'd get a tracking #.

Flying GCM --> MIA --> CTG and I really need to ship a package out (warranty repair on laptop) while in Miami but the airport post office is closed on Saturdays. I will be transiting MIA on a Saturday and only have a 3 hour layover and must clear immigration and Customs.

Anyone know how large the US Post Office drop boxes are at MIA? Big enough to put a properly packaged laptop in? Or any other way to ship a package on a Saturday without leaving the airport?

the US Post Office will not longer "blind ship" any item over I think 13 ounces. (blind ship meaning not knowing who it came from).

they have to receive it "in person" from the shipper. Which means you have to give it to your mail carrier or take it to a Post Office counter. something like that...

found this on their website. this press release says "only if you're using stamps". so yo might be able to do it if it has pre-printed or metered postage, as those are trackable to the real shipper. (stamps aren't).

http://www.usps.com/communications/newsroom/2007/pr07_058.htm

This basically stems from they don't want a completely untrackable package being sent with stamps in case it's a security threat.

Option 2:

1.) find a airport hotel that has a Fedex Drop Box or Concierge service to ship larger boxes
2.) Download/print shipping label before you fly out.
3.) take free airport hotel shuttle to hotel.
4.) drop in drop box, or give to Concierge to ship (with tip of course)
5.) take shuttle back to airport
6.) have a cold beer at the bar while you wait for your next flight.

Might be fun to do in 3 hours if Immigration is backed up and being there for your next international flight out.

A quick search found that the airport Hilton has this.
(read the Oct 29th review) Hilton Miami Airport & Towers (Miami, FL) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom