Near-DIR diving: Are there DIR things you would probably never do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am sure it has been covered but why do you put all your deco bottles on one side with DIR
From someone who has zero GUE training, but has done some reading up on it (enough to know I want to take fundies) my first guess would be to keep the long hose where it can be donated, since GUE focuses so much on the teamwork approach to diving. Like I say, this is nothing more than a guess.....

So, its better for everyone to stop at the first change in directional markers and drop a cookie. That way whoever is leading on the way out will be expecting to hit directional markers going the other way. That keeps the team on the same page, which keeps me safer.

And you don't have to mark every single one. You should be expecting to come to wrong directional markers until you hit the one where you find your cookie, then you should expect them to all be going the correct direction. Once you've picked up your cookie you have the warm fuzzy feeling that you're going the right way. And once the whole team has their cookies picked up there should be meta-fuzzies about everyone knowing they're going the right way.
Fair enough...anything that gives you that warm and fuzzy feeling is good...and if you´re just going to drop one extra ndm, then the cost is minimal...I might settle for just ok´ing the change but...

I am sure it has been covered but why do you put all your deco bottles on one side with DIR

It helps to simplify long hose deployment, it allows you to use a scooter on your right side, and arguably, it promotes proper mix/MOD verification during deco by making you verify the bottles, not just grabbing the one on your left/right.

I'm sure there are other reasons, but I have never worn multiple bottles, so I've never had to worry about it.

Tom

I think those of us who have the cave bug think of almost nothing but getting back to the caves . . . and have to content ourselves with practice sessions with other cave folks, and planning the next trip!

Reading this thread I am starting to feel guilty. Here I am living only 3 hours from Cave Country. Up to now the only thing I have been grateful for is getting good fills on lp108's. Just wish the caves weren't so sterile. Maybe I will have to take a cavern course just to see....

-Poor viz? Everyone does no-light exits in their classes?! poor or low wiz should be a walk in the park and navigation is everyones personal responsibility so I wouldn´t trust anyone elses(unless I had to)...if we have an unsoluble disagreement about the "right way", we´ll both have to take our chances won´t we?...same as with a known buddy? It´s your life, your responsibility?!

That´s fine, you are certainly entitled to dive how or with whoever you want...For me, your approach is restrictive and I percieve the risks associated with my way as a lot lower than you obviously do...

See this is where we diverge. I do my homework upfront and don't ever "take my chances". Part of that homework is finding buddies who are trained like me. Which means that people not trained like me need to find someone else to dive with. I know that there are some crappy instructors out there practically giving away cards and I don't want to dive with their students. Its just not relaxing or fun and I'm not that hard up for (what I consider) comparable buddies. Diving is expensive in time and effort. To get the most fun out of it with the least drama, I choose my buddies like I chose the rest of my equipment.

Fair enough...anything that gives you that warm and fuzzy feeling is good...and if you´re just going to drop one extra ndm, then the cost is minimal...I might settle for just ok´ing the change but...

Not adequate IMHO. People can ok back somewhat reflexively and not "get" the arrow directional change.

They gave me tools, knowledge, and a path to acquire skills. How I choose to use them is up to me. I understand a lot of different protocols ... the key thing is understanding the purpose of the protocols and when they're appropriate ... "rules" exist for a reason, and just about everything in diving is situational.

I think by the time a diver gets to the tech level, they're not hanging on the coat tails of an instructor ... they're seeking to gain skills and knowledge that they can use as appropriate to a given dive.

For those of you who will only "trust your life" to divers who have trained through a specific agency, or a given instructor, I ask you this ...

I know for sure that certain instructors won't even expose their students to what I consider appropriate. With other agencies/instructors I know without a doubt what they have been exposed to and what they were taught. I pull my potential buddies from those ranks. If they are not following the major protocols its pretty obvious. I have yet to be shocked. Surprised at some minor changes yes, shocked by major deviations no.

Keep the long hose free/deployable on right
Drive the scooter with right hand without a bottle under that arm
More streamlined than the double sided christmas tree

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom