Near miss with an experienced diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes I went the private boat option, but you have to admit that is rotten to find out after the boat is underway about certain non typical procedures.
Lately if I want to invite someone to dive of my boat I have to warn them about no giant stride... You wouldn't believe how many people pass when i tell them so. It has actually became a great litmus test. I definitely don't want to deal with someone that feels challenged by a back roll.
I am surprised that people prefer to giant stride than back roll.

I have a bit of a fear of heights so giant strides always make me slightly anxious right before the stride. With a backroll I don’t have to look and I am in the water before I can realise I am about to fall.

Local diving norms often vary by location and as such, are not always reflective of any individual’s training experience. A person ignorant of local norms may believe the same procedures every boat follows are a “non typical procedure” simply bc they haven’t been exposed to them. For example, for people used to 80/80/80 diving in the Caribbean conditions, “hot drops” / negative entries may certainly *appear* to be an atypical procedure, but they are standard in some parts of the country / world.

If I was diving in a new location, and I had strong preferences or needs, I'd be sure to research the location and the dive op, to prevent any surprises. And if I researched but something still came up after-the-fact, I’d suck it up and smile, because after all, a bad day diving is better than a good day at work! :)

I think it’s a great idea that you inform people about your boat’s procedure, especially since you acknowledge many choose to pass. OTOH, I wouldn’t assume that high percentage reflects a skills/comfort deficit: if I thought about it, i would assume it reflected personal preference.

Yes I went the private boat option, but you have to admit that is rotten to find out after the boat is underway about certain non typical procedures.
Lately if I want to invite someone to dive of my boat I have to warn them about no giant stride... You wouldn't believe how many people pass when i tell them so. It has actually became a great litmus test. I definitely don't want to deal with someone that feels challenged by a back roll.

I am surprised that people prefer to giant stride than back roll.

I have a bit of a fear of heights so giant strides always make me slightly anxious right before the stride. With a backroll I don’t have to look and I am in the water before I can realise I am about to fall.
That is actually one of the reasons I prefer a giant stride - I actually want to see what I am about to dive into.

Watched a day boat in the Red Sea (between our dives) where the divers were all going in in different ways - some giant strides, some rolls etc, The number of near misses and times where the diver was grabbed by their harness by the crew prior to leaving the ship in order to prevent them smashing other divers in the face with their tanks was absolutely ridiculous.

A diver should know better than to back roll without a proper signal to do so.

Did he also inform you that you can get this indication if the valve is only partially open, depending on the valve 1/4 turn open possibly less. It will starve you for air as you go deeper, not nearly as bad as a closed valve, but harder to diagnose if you don't know it can happen.

Bob

Yes, but I'm also a newer educated so we're taught to turn the valve all the way open and not turn it back at all. But I am aware this can happen :)

I don't know what will be the best way for you to deal with this situation, but maybe something to consider. Anything that "terrifies" you should be considered.

People may not verbalize it the way you did, but I suppose the diver that would not get in the water without an alternate air source is attempting to minimize that potential terror. Granted you need to have enough mental posture to go from the reg that gives zero air to the backup without the terror taking over.
Different divers rely on different alternatives: some check everything just so, some go for their buddy, other reach for their pony bottles, others to the surface (hopefully singing or humming).

Now is the time to figure out what is going to be your plan to 1- minimize the chances of taking that empty breath, and 2- a solution in case that empty breath does happen.

I have lots of plans to not take an empty breath and I would argue that it should terrify most people to be in an OOA situation. :) Terror and panic are different to me - I can be terrified of a situation but still be in complete control. Might just be how different people define words for themselves. I think drowning with an empty tank would be horrible, and I have no desire to ever experience it. It seems like a scary and lonely death.

I dive a conservative profile, I stay with my buddy and I do not and will not be doing any diving that ever requires deco. None of that is foolproof, and there's other things as well, but I am on the cautious side of diving because I want a wider safety margin. That's just how I roll.

I think I've done two giant stride entries in the last 8 years...TBH I'd forgotten how weird it is. Diving in say Tuomotos in French Polynesia without a negative entry just doesn't happen....ain't nobody got time for floating around on the surface :wink:

Yes, but I'm also a newer educated so we're taught to turn the valve all the way open and not turn it back at all. But I am aware this can happen :)

Makes no difference which school of thought you follow opening the valve if someone else helps out, that's how the casulty usually unfolds. The problem lies with the person helping, first deciding you did not open your valve, and next their confusion on what is open, usually from the direction they look at the valve, and finally their decision to change your valve position without your permission.

Bob

Makes no difference which school of thought you follow opening the valve if someone else helps out, that's how the casulty usually unfolds. The problem lies with the person helping, first deciding you did not open your valve, and next their confusion on what is open, usually from the direction they look at the valve, and finally their decision to change your valve position without your permission.

Yikes, that does seem like a recipe for disaster. I'll definitely keep watch for that. I don't think I want someone messing with my valve.

What's "80/80/80 diving"?
I had the same question. Will be interested to see if my guess is correct:
80 cf cylinder
80 ft depth
80°F

How did I do? I guess I will be REALLY surprised if I am way off...

Back
Top Bottom