Nearly new 30-year-old tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Assuming they're not bad alloy those tanks are great, practically new. They look like they're in beautiful shape. Get them if the price is right and dive them for years.

If he bought them in 1990, beware the 6351-T6 aluminum alloy. Those tanks are more likely to explode. You may want to get pictures of the info on the tanks before you go further.

By 1990 all cylinders made from AL6351 were completely phased out by Luxfer. A few hen's teeth cylinders were made by Walter Kiddie. Cliff Impact made some too until June 1990.

From the paint job I would successfully say those are AL6061 cylinders made by either Luxfer or Catalina (which always used AL6061).

Assuming 1990 or later born dates, I would offer him $100 for all four. ...you can sell them for scrap and get $80.

I saw someone made bells/wind chimes from old tanks. I'd probably do that instead of scrapping them.

I went and looked at the tanks today. Sadly, they are all Luxfers made in 1988 and 89. I passed.

Actually being kept full for all of these years has little impact on the integrity of the metal. More related is the number of cycles. However, the alloy is of more importance. Read this thread before deciding:
Is my cylinder made from the "bad" alloy aka AL6351?

Thanks for this link. I had searched for it but didn't find it. It is what gave me the info I needed to identify these tanks as nothing but pretty scrap metal. And thanks to @Scared Silly for putting the linked post together.

Back
Top Bottom