• No

Votes: 69 39.0%
  • Yes, a watch

Votes: 23 13.0%
  • Yes, second dive computer

Votes: 85 48.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dived for many years without a computer. If I ever had my computer fail during a dive I could safely complete the dive based on my spg. I've never had a gear failure in thirty years so I won't be carrying around extra gear any time soon.

Two PDCs because I have them for tech, otherwise a watch and depth gauge for backup.
Don't forget to set the bezel and carry tables in your bag.

I would recommend at least packing an analog pressure gauge for backup. I have had the pressure transmitters flood on day one of a week long trip.

For the people who dive a watch, I'm curious how many of you do a time hack before you splash? If you have a dive watch, do you set the bezel? How many of you actually use a dive watch as intended, and how many of you just have a watch with you?

I forgot to set the bezel more often than not. I now have two PDCs, so not a problem.

I had a suunto depth gauge take a dump on its 6th dive ever. I was in Kauai and had already done 5 dives off the coast of the island. The suunto failed on the first of 3 planned wall dives off niihau. Fortunately, I had a console computer mounted to the rental reg I was using. We got close to 100 feet on our fitst dive so I was very glad to have the spare at hand.

I just did 19 dives in Belize using my aqualung 300i. It ran perfectly but the suunto experience has me wondering if I should pick up an extra computer (as in buy a Shearwater and use the aqualung as a backup).

When I go diving, I strap on my backup computer. I bought it because it has a watch form factor and can accompany me on my dive, so I don't have to bother storing my watch during the dive. As an added bonus, my watch is totally able to take any environmental conditions which won't kill me. As another added bonus, I have a backup computer during my dive. Not that that matters much, though, because if my primary computer dies I lose my tank pressure as well (it's AI), so the dive will be over no matter what. But since my primary computer is hose AI, I appreciate being able to check my wrist backup instead of my hose AI primary occasionally.

Some guys carry backup masks and snorkels on every dive. And take the mask into the water with them.
Whatever floats your boat.
If I was doing the kind of diving that really REQUIRED a computer, like a three day weekend or a vacation that was going to be full of NDL or solo dives where the computer was really going to be useful? Yeah, I might want a backup. But so far, I haven't been doing or needing that. I do carry spare o-rings and all sorts of other things, but a spare computer? No, and no spare fins, either. (G)

I checked no because my usual diving is shallow shore diving to usually 30+ feet. I only wear my watch because now I don't have to worry about proper rinsing of my DC or it flooding. On my rare deep boat dives I use both. On these divesI still tend to look at my watch, depth gauge and consult tables out of habit, but do check the DC for remaining bottom time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom