Necessity of Dive Computer for new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Table works but Wheel works better.
I was diving LOB in GBR 20yrs ago without a computer. The dive supervisor insisted that 18m was the max that my insta buddy and myself were allowed unless we could plan a multi-level dive by using The Wheel. No problem for us so we planned and showed the plan to the supervisor for approval before every dive.
When I returned home, I bought my first computer which lasted nearly 18yrs.

a dive computer is an important purchase.
1) it makes diving easier. there is a margin of error looking up stuff on tables being excited/distracted from an awesome dive. Computers don't get distracted.
2) it makes diving safer. Computers track a realistic profile as opposed to a square profile. Fun exercise. Use a computer, then run your table for a dive. See what the difference is.
3) we use technology in every aspect of our lives. Yet we're supposed to use a sheet of paper for diving?
4) computers record our dive data and most have associated electronic logbooks
5) computers are not expensive. they are life support equipment like a regulator. a good basic computer is under $300. After that point, you just pay for features, design, and extras.
6) and, of course, there is nitrox (yes...you need a computer)

I generally encourage my students who plan to dive often to invest in a DC even before other gear (except for their personal mask, fins, etc). Regs and BCs are easy to rent. A DC is something you need to be familiar with and get used to.

One thing to note about renting a computer and diving multiple days in a row: If you rent a reg set with an attached computer, I think it's pretty normal that, when you come back the next day and rent again, you will get a different reg set. Which means a different computer.

It is also pretty normal to have a pretty set schedule. So, your first dive each day will probably be somewhere around the same time each day. Which means that your first dive of Day 2 is going to be less than 24 hours after your last dive from the day before.

If you are starting Day 2 with a different computer than you had on Day 1, you really don't know what that computer is going to be thinking in terms of your residual nitrogren. That computer could have been unused the day before and think your tissues are completely clear when they might not really be. Or someone else could have used that computer for a night dive the night before and the computer might think you have a lot more residual nitrogen than you really do.

Not a reason to just not rent, but it is something to be aware of. Especially if you are diving consecutive days.

Also, if it's your first day of diving, you should be able to check the computer they rent you to see if/what surface interval it is showing. If it is showing less than 24 hours, that means someone else used it the day before and you might ask for a different computer or ask them to reset the one they are renting you.

One thing to note about renting a computer and diving multiple days in a row: If you rent a reg set with an attached computer, I think it's pretty normal that, when you come back the next day and rent again, you will get a different reg set. Which means a different computer.

It is also pretty normal to have a pretty set schedule. So, your first dive each day will probably be somewhere around the same time each day. Which means that your first dive of Day 2 is going to be less than 24 hours after your last dive from the day before.

If you are starting Day 2 with a different computer than you had on Day 1, you really don't know what that computer is going to be thinking in terms of your residual nitrogren. That computer could have been unused the day before and think your tissues are completely clear when they might not really be. Or someone else could have used that computer for a night dive the night before and the computer might think you have a lot more residual nitrogen than you really do.

Not a reason to just not rent, but it is something to be aware of. Especially if you are diving consecutive days.

Also, if it's your first day of diving, you should be able to check the computer they rent you to see if/what surface interval it is showing. If it is showing less than 24 hours, that means someone else used it the day before and you might ask for a different computer or ask them to reset the one they are renting you.

The problem(s) with the "renting until you find one you like" theory is that the rental charges will accumulate and will end up paying almost what it would cost to buy a computer. Also, most (if not all) dive centers that rent computers usually rent the absolute bottom of the line or dated computers.

Last edited:
The problem(s) with the "renting until you find one you like" theory is that the rental charges will accumulate and will end up paying almost what it would cost to buy a computer. Also, most (if not all) dive centers that rent computers usually rent the absolute bottom of the line or dated computers.

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't think I have suggested "rent until you find one you like."

I would suggest: Rent until you can afford one and until you feel like you have enough information and experience to judge what computer you want without having to ask a bunch of strangers on the Internet and, basically, just take their word for what to buy.

If you dive with rentals enough, you might find that you don't need to look at it all that often and you don't need any more info than what is shown on the basic display. Or you might find that you really want something that is visible from 10' away, on a night dive, in very turbid water, and you want a lot more detailed info on the screen without having to press any buttons. Or you might find that the cheap basic models give you plenty of bottom time - or that you want something that is very liberal. You might realize a console is just fine for you - or that you hate it and want a wrist model.

After a while, you'll probably develop some ideas of your own and what you really want in your computer. If you don't know yet, it might be a good idea to rent until you do.

Or heed the Scubanati Gospel and buy a Perdix AI.... :rofl3:

The class where I realized I could read my classmates computer (6 feet away) easier than the one on my wrist was what got me. The fact that it provided 90% of what I want to see on the entire dive in one screen was just gravy.

But I still think that you can do a lot of safe diving with a used cheap computer and buying a $700-1000 computer before you have done a few dozen dives and know you are going to continue diving is foolish unless you have a surplus of cash.

It's up to the instructor. The instructor CAN still teach and test on it, if they want to. Or such is my understanding, anyway.

Disclaimer: I have never taken a single PADI course, so this is all based on things I've read here posted by people who I understand to be PADI Pros.

There's three versions padi allows dive centers / instructors to choose from: Tables, electronic recreational dive planner multi level, or computer.

All three cover the existence and basic use of the other two, but use one specific method for planning all dives for the class and is the one method on the test

Some of the guys I dive with, who have been diving for years, don't have computers, tables, etc. Just a depth gauge. The thought process is they know based on tables they simply don't have enough gas to exceed their NDL on a square 40-60 ft. dive.

I would buy a computer if you can afford it.
How about their second dive of the day? Very easy to go into deco..

Yes and no, a 60 ft. dive for 45 minutes and a two hour SI puts your second dive NDL around 44 minutes depending on the table you use. With a hard bottom of 60 ft. you can assume your average depth is probably less than that for a extra safety margin. Add nitrox to the mix and that will make the need for a computer to track NDL almost pointless at depths less than 60 ft.

Where I would be concerned is repetitive diving over repetitive days. But like I said, they know what they can do based on tables and it's why I put that statement in bold font and followed up with the other benefits of a computer.

Last edited:
The class where I realized I could read my classmates computer (6 feet away) easier than the one on my wrist was what got me. The fact that it provided 90% of what I want to see on the entire dive in one screen was just gravy.

But I still think that you can do a lot of safe diving with a used cheap computer and buying a $700-1000 computer before you have done a few dozen dives and know you are going to continue diving is foolish unless you have a surplus of cash.
I know the feeling (although mine wasn't on a course). Saw an Eon Steel with my buddy about 10ft away and, like you, could read his screen better than mine.

Cost me a fortune that dive!

Note for clarity - the Perdix (or Petrel) is the gold standard for dive computers for recreational (or tech) divers. Do most people need it? No. Is it really nice to use? Yes.

What has to come first is deciding your budget and how long you want to wait until you get it. For me, I bought a DC almost straight out of my OW and then replaced it 45 dives later when I had the above epiphany.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom