Neck and shoulder pain

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uliana

New
Reaction score
Hi, I am totally new to diving and I completed my first dive two days ago. It was an introductory dive, we dove twice to 12m and each dive lasted 35 min. The instructor was the one to control everything. After the dive I've been feeling a strong pain in my neck and shoulders (more towards the left side). I felt quite fatigued for a few hours and a bit dizzy after the dive, but that went away after a night's sleep. My question is: should I be concerned about the pain in my shoulder and neck? I assumed at first it was because of the way I positioned my neck in the water. Is it common to feel a bit dizzy and experience fatigue for several hours after the dive? This was my first time and I have nothing to compare my experience to. Thanks.

Even if you provided more information, no one here could answer your question. Go see a doctor.

You probably slept on it wrong and it's only coincidental that this happened after your dive.

Dizzy no

But now you are fine right?

Oh I love to give advice

Hi, I am totally new to diving and I completed my first dive two days ago. It was an introductory dive, we dove twice to 12m and each dive lasted 35 min. The instructor was the one to control everything. After the dive I've been feeling a strong pain in my neck and shoulders (more towards the left side). I felt quite fatigued for a few hours and a bit dizzy after the dive, but that went away after a night's sleep. My question is: should I be concerned about the pain in my shoulder and neck? I assumed at first it was because of the way I positioned my neck in the water. Is it common to feel a bit dizzy and experience fatigue for several hours after the dive? This was my first time and I have nothing to compare my experience to. Thanks.

Hi Uliana,

Re the pain, I would lean more toward musculoskeletal pain, possibly from poorly fitting equipment, but the dizziness and fatigue are a little more concerning. How calm were you during the dives? Did you notice yourself breathing more than usual? Did you notice any other symptoms like headache or cramped fingers?

Best regards,
DDM

Hi Uliana,

Re the pain, I would lean more toward musculoskeletal pain, possibly from poorly fitting equipment, but the dizziness and fatigue are a little more concerning. How calm were you during the dives? Did you notice yourself breathing more than usual? Did you notice any other symptoms like headache or cramped fingers?

Best regards,
DDM

Thank you for the reply! I did breath a little unevenly underwater due to being a little nervous a few times. No headache as such, I felt fatigue, was a bit dizzy, had overall a "heavy head feeling" and felt like it cost me a slight effort to think clearly - all that until I went to bed (that to say, we were driving a van for 2.5h on a windy roads right after the dive). No other disturbing symptoms; all of the symptoms I had were gone the next morning, only the shoulder/neck pain persists.

Uliana, that's interesting. I wonder whether you may have hyperventilated, but if the symptoms persisted for that long, I also think that contaminated breathing air can't be ruled out. Was anyone else using tanks that were filled by the same compressor? If so, do you know if anyone else reported feeling ill afterward?

Best regards,
DDM

Was your mask on too tight?
Did you sit in a hot wetsuit in the sun for an hour preping for the dive? Did you backroll in or stride? Did you walk in with a heavy tank over rocks? Did you strain your neck due to poor posture and trim? etc.etc.

Good point about the possibility of dehydration.

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom