Necklace bungee thoughts.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can theoretically lose all your gas in BM doubles if you don't isolate properly or quickly enough(unlikely, but possible...). SM tanks are completely independent. SM divers often dispense with the long hose if they're not diving in mixed teams.

Last edited:
Not having the longhose is quite the gamble.

I recall an incident where a diver had bad gas in their tanks on a cave dive. In fact, it was a friend of mine. A portion of the helium component was actually argon (He and Ar use the same connector). Without a longhose, the outcome might have been VERY different. The same thing could have happened with BM or SM.

Could happen also if **** goes south and elevates a divers SAC rate.

Its not just about some catastrophic equipment failure. Its about options. Eliminating the long hose eliminates a pretty important option.

Not having the longhose is quite the gamble.

I recall an incident where a diver had bad gas in their tanks on a cave dive. In fact, it was a friend of mine. A portion of the helium component was actually argon (He and Ar use the same connector). Without a longhose, the outcome might have been VERY different. The same thing could have happened with BM or SM.

Could happen also if **** goes south and elevates a divers SAC rate.

Its not just about some catastrophic equipment failure. Its about options. Eliminating the long hose eliminates a pretty important option.

based on this thread, it sounds like sidemount prevents the need for gas sharing :)

You can theoretically lose all your gas in BM doubles if you don't isolate properly or quickly enough(unlikely, but possible...). SM tanks are completely independent. SM divers often dispense with the long hose if they're not diving in mixed teams.

So could you not go with independent back mounted doubles??

I did not read through the entire post so this may have already been covered. I have the short hose regulator neck bunged so that I can get it into my mouth without using my hands, and not interfering with the long hose regulator I'm breathing from. You can use a piece of surgical tubing and make a small split through the center. You make the hole small enough that you really have to force the mouthpiece through it. The walls of the tubing will lay flat and not bulk up like the round jobber-doies-thingamajig you can buy. These want to ride up into the teeth and lips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom