Need 4 to go. Pompano Dive Center 4 wrecks on 1/10/2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow.

I gave a 90 second breakdown on why you can’t run a diveboat on $100. I hand-waved taxes for a whopping $34. Yes, I know how business taxes work: I’ve run an S Corp, an LLC and a Schedule C.

You all focus on *that* and ignore the fact that I put operating expenses at $0! Might *those* have exceeded $34 whole dollars?

You’re proud of the fact that he’s probably running a business so close to break-even that he probably won’t pay much in taxes?!! And you feel that you should be able to make that worse?

Because a lot of people believe business taxes are like income taxes, and are surprised when businesses pay a low percentage compared to their gross receipts.

Personally I have no dog in this fight. PDC has always treated me right, so the following criticism is not directed at them. But I do think shops should be a bit more transparent on the likelihood that a charter will go out, I've had shops that will gladly tell you what days charters will likely go out, and what locations attract people (when you are the first to book). While others are "Just book and we will call you the night before if we have to cancel." I've even had charters (in a 40ft Newton) go out with 2-3 customers because of last minute cancellations and they wanted to be there for customers that did show up and not cancel the day of. I know that they probably are losing money and I really appreciate it when they do it. But I also understand when they have to cancel because no business should be operating at a loss.

As @JimBlay first predicted, the entire week was a blowout. Out of 4 possible dive days I got zero dives in.

Thought today was going to be doable, and the forecast improved slightly, showing 4-5' waves, but according to Conrad from Miss Pompano Dive charters, the conditions would still be bad so he canceled. I called one other Dive Op, for a second opinion, sort of like you would do if a doctor told you that you had inoperable brain cancer but they said the same.

I'm wondering if anyone did go out today, if you're reading this and you dived in SE Florida today please let me know how it went for you.

Winter just isn't a good Florida ocean diving season for non-locals with a short defined time window for travel (including myself). At least you didn't go to Grand Cayman or Cozumel and get blown out. That would be really frustrating.

Winter just isn't a good Florida ocean diving season for non-locals with a short defined time window for travel (including myself). At least you didn't go to Grand Cayman or Cozumel and get blown out. That would be really frustrating.
Actually, it’s almost impossible to get completely blown out on Grand Cayman - conditions are almost always diveable on one side... very rare to have a total blow-out. As such, it’s a much better choice than Florida in winter!

Winter just isn't a good Florida ocean diving season for non-locals

I know. The primary purpose of the trip was to celebrate my dad's 90th birthday along with a sibling who is also an avid diver. I wish he was born in a month that was more conducive to diving in SE Florida.

Well, planning a makeup trip for March, that should be a better trip.

Wow. Leaving this back and forth...I do think it only makes sense that dive ops are given ample notice of cancellations . One I like requires 48 hrs from divers and they called a dive 24hrs before the dive due to our currently crappy weather. No big deal.

I have been diving year round in SE FL for 10 years, but, am not a full time resident, and must also deal with the whims of nature. I do this by using a number of operators and developing a good relationship with them. I use 3 operators in Boynton Beach, 2 in West Palm, and 1 in Jupiter. The 3 inlets vary in bigger seas from difficult (Boynton) to intermediate (Jupiter) to easier (West Palm). I often make reservations based on current conditions and predictions but am surprised sometimes. Because the operators depart at different times, 8-10 am, I can frequently get on another boat if mine is cancelled. Occasionally, I let the backup operator know I will join them if my primary ride for the day does not go out. They are happy to get the addtional business. If all fails, I can sometimes get in a dive at the BHB. Of course, there are the days I can only ride my bike to the inlet and watch the waves breaking over it :).

Hi:

who do you use in Boynton?

As @JimBlay first predicted, the entire week was a blowout. Out of 4 possible dive days I got zero dives in.

Thought today was going to be doable, and the forecast improved slightly, showing 4-5' waves, but according to Conrad from Miss Pompano Dive charters, the conditions would still be bad so he canceled. I called one other Dive Op, for a second opinion, sort of like you would do if a doctor told you that you had inoperable brain cancer but they said the same.

I'm wondering if anyone did go out today, if you're reading this and you dived in SE Florida today please let me know how it went for you.

My charter for today was canceled as well. I was booked with Pura Vida. Today appears to have been a washout as well all along the Palm Beach/Broward coast. I did get in a nice 2 hr dive yesterday morning at Blue Heron Bridge then spent the afternoon volunteering at Gumbo Limbo Nature Center. It was fine underwater although viz wasn't stellar but manageable. But wow was it windy topside.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. It always sucks big time when that happens!

Hi:

who do you use in Boynton?
My home is in Hypoluxo, just north of BB. I try to get out in BB whenever I can. I use Underwater Explorers, Loggerhead, and Starfish, in that order. I have no experience with Splashdown since the change in ownership, I hear they are fine

Feel free to PM me with questions

My home is in Hypoluxo, just north of BB. I try to get out in BB whenever I can. I use Underwater Explorers, Loggerhead, and Starfish, in that order. I have no experience with Splashdown since the change in ownership, I hear they are fine

Feel free to PM me with questions

All the charter operators in Boynton are reputable, safe operators. Personally I use Starfish, Underwater Explorers, Loggerhead, and Splashdown in that order. All are good and you can't go wrong with any of them really.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom