Need a basic harness. Piranha? Options questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You don't need any defense. And yes piranha is great, although they appear to charge extra for a blue crotch strap.

Slides with or without teeth or some of each?

I was in a similar boat as yourself but I was getting my first harness. I was thinking one of the deluxe style ones with more adjustment would be better. I came across a deal for a dive rite transplate harness so jumped on it. I ended up also ordering a full single piece set up from piranha.
The piranha set up you can see below. I went with hi viz green webbing, all black hardware, 2 bent and 2 straight d rings, I went with 4 smooth tri glides and two teethed for the shoulder d rings. The stainless smooth ones are for the back side of the plate for the waist webbing. The black ones will be on the waist belt itself for the d rings.i also ordered a double ended black clip off tri glide for a couple of extra attachment points.
The crotch strap is a dive rite 2” while the trim pockets are dgx and cam bands are dgx stainless.
14B5CB29-7D45-4495-B94A-54CC9DD1BAD2.jpeg

Slides with or without teeth or some of each?
Teeth will grip to hold the D Ring in place, but TBH I have had no issues with rings moving with standard triglides. I have both some of the stiff and standard webbing from Phirahna and D Rings don't slide with a non toothed triglide. There is some softer webbing or coated webbing (Deep6) on the market where things sliding around is a little bit of an issue for some.

...I came across a deal for a dive rite transplate harness so jumped on it. I ended up also ordering a full single piece set up from piranha.
The piranha set up you can see below. I went with hi viz green webbing, all black hardware, 2 bent and 2 straight d rings, I went with 4 smooth tri glides and two teethed for the shoulder d rings. The stainless smooth ones are for the back side of the plate for the waist webbing. The black ones will be on the waist belt itself for the d rings.i also ordered a double ended black clip off tri glide for a couple of extra attachment points.
The crotch strap is a dive rite 2” while the trim pockets are dgx and cam bands are dgx stainless.
I already have a plate, cam bands and trim pockets that I'm happy with. I'll probably do what you've done for the hardware except maybe color. I like the hi-viz webbing color - it matches the shirts I wear when bike commuting :). But I suspect it will be very hard to keep it looking clean, so I'll likely go with something darker. But not black, no doubt due to leftover trauma from early DIR-fanboi encounters - or as one DM I dived with put it, "Oh yeah, the black DSMB crowd." :wink:

I already have a plate, cam bands and trim pockets that I'm happy with. I'll probably do what you've done for the hardware except maybe color. I like the hi-viz webbing color - it matches the shirts I wear when bike commuting :). But I suspect it will be very hard to keep it looking clean, so I'll likely go with something darker. But not black, no doubt due to leftover trauma from early DIR-fanboi encounters - or as one DM I dived with put it, "Oh yeah, the black DSMB crowd." :wink:

I actually worried about the same thing getting the harness dirty or marked up wise, but I figured webbing is so cheap I could basically replace the webbing every year if I wanted and change colors etc that I shouldn’t make myself crazy over a stain or lighter colors.

I was in a similar boat as yourself but I was getting my first harness. I was thinking one of the deluxe style ones with more adjustment would be better. I came across a deal for a dive rite transplate harness so jumped on it. I ended up also ordering a full single piece set up from piranha.
The crotch strap is a dive rite 2” while the trim pockets are dgx and cam bands are dgx stainless. View attachment 548612
Looks good, not a bad idea to add another tank strap though....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom