Need a Dive Op Recommendation for Monterey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cali_diver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi want to "finally" dive in Monterey and would like some advice. We are a family of four who are used to diving tropical/warm water locals. The boys 15 and 18 have been diving for 5 years and 6 years are used to current and adverse conditions but have never been in kelp. We would like a smaller op if available and would like to do boat dives.

I would also like to know what the water temps are now since I get very very cold even in warm water. I know it bites, I get blue and everything! No Dry suit so I will have to layer and take one for the team!

Thx
Diana

Thank you for the info and links I know it will be very very different than we are used to. That is why I wanted to find a small op that would do some hand holding and keep my kids safe. Is this available in Monterey? Just selfishly curious...When is Monterey at its warmest?

Bruce at Aquarius Dive Shop on Del Monte is your guy. Just as Chuck said.

Temps don't vary that much. Like the Nike slogan, "Just do it."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here in Cali the DM's do not get in the water and lead the divers around. Instead they remain on the boat and assist the captain in getting folks on and off the boat.

You can check with the smaller boats like the Silver Prince and the Beach Hopper II to see if they will put a DM in the water with you if you so desire. Bruce at Aquarius might have some recommendations too. I know his shop does a lot of guided shore diving.

Personally if you have never dove locally I would recommend shore diving. Reasons like a nice slope to descend and ascend on come into play vs a green water possibly poor vis ascent with no line to follow up.

Also if you get cold a drysuit might be a better option. Many people quite diving because of the cold, but a drysuit can change everything simply by the person being warm.

Check out Monterey Blue Diving, I have used him before. had a fantastic dive. i chose him because it was one on one, it would be just you and your family. not sure how many he can take on his boat though but its well worth checking out.

Aqua Safaris in Santa Cruz has a small group of DM's. If you want a DM-guided boat dive just ask and they'll help you out.

It's true that the dive boats in Monterey don't have in-water DM guides unless you ask before hand. Even then the shops mostly takes care of that end.

If you want a small boat with less divers, the Beach Hopper and Sanctuary are good bets.
Monterey Blue Diving will have the boat all to your family if you want to dive off a Zodiac.
Monterey SCUBA Diving Charter Boats
Aqua Safaris Scuba Gear, Diving Equipment & Dive Travel

Back
Top Bottom