Need a flag/float - which one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie13

Great Lakes Mermaid
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Several Midwestern dive sites I’m going to be diving this summer require towing a flag.

Which one to get? Something from Mako?

Thanks!

I got the "Hawaiian" float (lifeguard style) from MAKO but was skunked for lake diving in ME last fall (12-hour days of construction left me a little too beat to go soloing) and didn't get to try it in-water. Seems well built for the task and I like the ability to use just the float part for its original intended purpose should it arise.

Given your previously noted volumetric constraints on storage and transportation you might be better served by an inflatable. I thought about their high-pressure float-flag combo.

ETA: Some prior art:
Dive Flag and Buoy
Mako "Professional Inflatable Spearfishing Float"
The BEST Dive Flag Float by MAKO Spearguns

The best flag to have is the one your buddy is towing. But seriously, what conditions and how deep and can you park the float and dive around without having to tow it?

The best flag to have is the one your buddy is towing. But seriously, what conditions and how deep and can you park the float and dive around without having to tow it?

Inland lakes. Probably no deeper than 50-60ft max. At two of the sites, you have to tow it. Can’t park. At one site the conservation officers will ticket divers without a flag.

Since you are not dealing with 3 knot currents and pulling it under to collapse the float, I'd just get the $30 sytrofoam ball 2 piece flag.

But it's the choice of reel that will make it fun or a pain in the rear. I've used the 275ft blue clicker reel below and they work great at $50. But I just upgraded to the Manta Mini reel at $125 and it is sweet. Also get a reef treble dive hook so once you get down on the wreck(etc) you can just hook it off, go explore and come back for it at the end of the dive to ascend

FSD Dive Reel 275ft with stopper

Float1.jpg

The Mako inflatable looks great if you haul stuff like a speargun or weights and will anchor it most times.
If you will simply need a flag and will tow it get yhe hard float.

The Mako inflatable looks great if you haul stuff like a speargun or weights and will anchor it most times.
If you will simply need a flag and will tow it get yhe hard float.

It deflates and gets nice and flat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom