Need a flag/float - which one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But they could join you. [cough] Drain Plugs [cough] :argh:
So painlessly easy! Wait, note to self: **snap out of it***

I am, and have always been, a 'live and let live' (aka, leave me alone) sorta guy. It is my humble opinion that day or weekend boaters (boaters other than serious fishermen) get their jollies racing back and forth trying to get noticed on the surface.

Boats.

No dis on anyone who is out there for hook and line fishing. At times, I am too. But spearfishing, to me, is the ultimate 'green' way to harvest fish from the sea. You only take what you need and all else remains highly undisturbed.

It's never happened to me nor have I ever seen any on the bottom at the shore diving sites I've used. Not saying it's not possible (hard to prove a negative) just that I've never seen it.

How is your foam float (in your photo) any better environmentally than "pool noodle" or "styrofoam" floats? It's still a man-made material that doesn't break down, will still be on this earth once we're all dead and needs to be handled and disposed of properly. I honestly don't see the difference. Perhaps I'm missing something?
The styrofoam ball can can break up into tiny white pellets. The coated non compressible foam will last for years (mine is about seven years old), while it can be pulled under, I have never seen one become a dive buddy or break into bits because someone sat or dropped a tank on it. I always enjoy watching the newbie divers drag their flags under. The flag in the video was the float my then newbie dive buddy had purchased. I think it is still in his shed.

In fairness, I may have been a little harsh on the styrofoam balls, only because I have spent a life time seeing tiny bit and chunks of styrofoam in the water and smashed up styrofoam coolers on beaches or as packing. Anything you buy and end up replacing is a waste. I see very few experienced divers in the NE using styrofoam floats.

If I came across as harsh and judgmental, I apologize. My bias is they are the split fins of floats (I have an irrational dislike of them, but others may like them).:surrender:

I was diving Saturday at Devils Lake in WI, the one site that really is anal about the flags. Dive buddy towed the flag. Found out much the ticket for no flag is - $220! :rant:

I was diving Saturday at Devils Lake in WI, the one site that really is anal about the flags. Dive buddy towed the flag. Found out much the ticket for no flag is - $220! :rant:

So you each need a flag?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom