Need a good dive shop in Bonaire.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevin Moran

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi guys,
I am new to Scuba Board. I am planning a trip to Bonaire next year around June. First time. Did a double vacation to Play del Carmen/Cozumel this year. Fantastic diving and loved the Cenotes...especially El Pit but back to Bonaire. Can someone give me a good dive shop in Bonaire to use? As you all know, a dive shop can make or break a vacation. I am a solo diver and would like to take advantage of the shore dives. I guess I can find someone there to buddy up with. Any advice you can give would help. Thanks.

There are a number of good options. My personal preference is Dive Friends Bonaire. Dive Friends Bonaire - Best Bonaire Diving and Services
They have the most locations on the island (7); where you are free to pick up and drop off tanks from. Their fills are consistent, their nitrox % is consistent. Do you know where you will be staying yet? That may be a determining factor.

+1 for DF. Really handy being able to swap tanks at most all of their locations no matter where you're staying unless you've got a package deal.

Im providing guided dives and will pick you up at your accommodation. Please have a look at my website and send me an email for more information.

Kind regards, Paul.

Bonscuba.com

++1 for Dive Friends Bonaire. I have done 9 weeks on Bonaire and DFB has been flawless.

I am a big fan of DF but I do have a slightly different take. If depends on where you are staying. If for example, you are at Buddy Dive, then there is no good reason not to use their shop and plenty of good reasons to do so. On the other hand, using DF and staying at Buddy can be done but its not nearly as convenient. You are better served picking your resort first then deciding on a dive shop, this is esp true if you are doing any boat dives. I have used a number of shops on Bonaire and most all of them are great.
By "solo" do you mean traveling alone or diving alone? Finding a dive buddy if you are traveling alone is not usually too much of an issue. Solo diving is a bit of a different issue. While it's not likely you will be bothered about diving alone, I suggest you not advertise it either.

Another vote for Dive Friends......note that there is a sign up buddy board at Dive Friends Sand Dollar......I can't recall anything similar with the other Dive Friend locations or other dive shops.......Have stayed at Captain Don's and Divi and their dive shops were ok......I agree with the other comments that your choice of accommodations may influence which dive shop you use. Most hotels/motels either have a dive shop onsite or are affiliated with a dive shop like Dive Friends.....I did my PADI AOW with Paul @ BonScuba and had a great time. Highly recommended........My wife is not a diver so I have either gone out with the boat (DM will be your buddy) or hooked up with another solo or group who didn't mind an extra. In my case the 2 times that I have been to Bonaire (April 2018 and 2019) I have met people at the mandatory check out dive on day 2 (typically). Also it is quite easy to hang at the resort bar/pub and meet other divers. Unlike some other islands (e.g. Curacao, St Martin, Antigua, Barbados, Turks & Caicos) I have found it easy to find dive buddies in Bonaire. Enjoy!!

There are a number of good options. My personal preference is Dive Friends Bonaire. Dive Friends Bonaire - Best Bonaire Diving and Services
They have the most locations on the island (7); where you are free to pick up and drop off tanks from. Their fills are consistent, their nitrox % is consistent. Do you know where you will be staying yet? That may be a determining factor.

Thanks Trailboss,
The trip is still a year away but I will probably get an Airbnb. Maybe someone can clue me into where I should be looking to stay on Bonaire to be close to the good dive sites. It looks to me like most of the hotels are located on the west coast near Little Bonaire island.

I am a big fan of DF but I do have a slightly different take. If depends on where you are staying. If for example, you are at Buddy Dive, then there is no good reason not to use their shop and plenty of good reasons to do so. On the other hand, using DF and staying at Buddy can be done but its not nearly as convenient. You are better served picking your resort first then deciding on a dive shop, this is esp true if you are doing any boat dives. I have used a number of shops on Bonaire and most all of them are great.
By "solo" do you mean traveling alone or diving alone? Finding a dive buddy if you are traveling alone is not usually too much of an issue. Solo diving is a bit of a different issue. While it's not likely you will be bothered about diving alone, I suggest you not advertise it either.

A point well taken, Herman....thanks.

Another vote for Dive Friends......note that there is a sign up buddy board at Dive Friends Sand Dollar......I can't recall anything similar with the other Dive Friend locations or other dive shops.......Have stayed at Captain Don's and Divi and their dive shops were ok......I agree with the other comments that your choice of accommodations may influence which dive shop you use. Most hotels/motels either have a dive shop onsite or are affiliated with a dive shop like Dive Friends.....I did my PADI AOW with Paul @ BonScuba and had a great time. Highly recommended........My wife is not a diver so I have either gone out with the boat (DM will be your buddy) or hooked up with another solo or group who didn't mind an extra. In my case the 2 times that I have been to bonaire (April 2018 and 2019) I have met people at the mandatory check out dive on day 2 (typically). Also it is quite easy to hang at the resort bar/pub and meet other divers. Unlike some other islands (e.g. Curacao, St Martin, Antigua, Barbados, Turks & Caicos) I have found it easy to find dive buddies in Bonaire. Enjoy!!

Thanks GrafCanuck, I appreciate the input.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom