Need a good LDS or instructor in San Diego

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DallasNewbie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking to set up OW certification for a friend in San Diego. Since I'm a thousand miles away, I'd appreciate any recommendations from locals. If there's already a thread on this, a pointer would likewise be appreciated. Small class, or individual instruction would probably be preferred for scheduling flexibility.

For background, my friend went on a discover SCUBA dive in Cabo, which was really more of a guided reef dive, and loved it.

TIA.

For the absolute best training I would recommend unified team diving in San Diego. They have one of the most comprehensive programs around and create confident, responsible divers.

Open Water · UTD Scuba Diving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think UTD has the best instructors and curriculum around, but then again I'm biased because I teach for them myself. Focus is on perfect trim and buoyancy, right from the start.

Home · UTD Scuba Diving

I think UTD has the best instructors and curriculum around, but then again I'm biased because I teach for them myself. Focus is on perfect trim and buoyancy, right from the start.

Home · UTD Scuba Diving
It looks like UTD issues its own certifications and teaches a DIR style of equipment. Is that accurate? I'm concerned that would be an issue, since everyone she'd be diving with, including us and her husband, are NAUI trained.

You are correct, it's pretty easy to go to a traditional set up after if they wish. It's the skills and knowledge that are the key. Hard to beat that training dollar for dollar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like UTD issues its own certifications and teaches a DIR style of equipment. Is that accurate? I'm concerned that would be an issue, since everyone she'd be diving with, including us and her husband, are NAUI trained.
We typically address this in class. Most of our students leave OW with the adaptability to handle any type of gear. If there are any concerns, we can always arrange extra pool time to train in typical rental gear (i.e. jacket BC, octopus, etc.)

This process is much easier than re-training buoyancy and trim when a student has already done traditional OW training kneeling on the bottom, doing fin-pivots, etc. :D

A mostly complete list of Dive Shops and Instructors in San Diego County and bits of Orange & riverside counties (in no particular order).

DIVE SHOPS:

Virtually all of the shops do training, rent gear, and fill tanks. Visit them all and see which one fits your needs. Additionally: Many shops are offering some variant of tech courses these days. Even if a shop isn't specifically marked "tech" here, call them up and ask.
NOTE: I've purposefully left off a few operations that appear to be blatant rip-offs. Basic Open Water classes for $1,500 - $2,000 earn you a special place in the 4th level of hell.

INDEPENDENT INSTRUCTORS:

I'd recommend the guy in the post above me! He won't toot his own horn, but I will! I did my advanced and rescue with him. His classes are usually only a few people, or private, and he gives a **** about making his students good divers! As long as getting your C Card fast is not what you care about (sorry Bill couldn't resist :wink:) then he is a solid choice!

Back
Top Bottom