Need a source of J-Valve ( new ones )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IyaDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi All,

I have a friend in the Navy. For some reason I can not understand, he ask me where to buy new J valves but new ones.:confused:

I think its old school training where pressure gauge was an option...:D

Does anyone know where he can buy some ?
He said his team will need like 30 pcs or so...wow !!!

I tried the internet but can't find it, except used ones.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
IYA

Try Mar Vel, I know a J double manifold is still available. What is wrong with used. They are so simple there is nothing much to go bad.

MAR-VEL INTERNATIONAL

The Navy has to have maintence records for every piece of equipment, so they always purchase new. That way the record starts the day of receipt.
With used, there would be no record, and that piece of equipment would not be allowed to be introduced into the gear being used.

Hello Captain and MB,

Thanks guys. Its a single tank J valve.
Must ask Mar-Vel if they have any single one, website showed none of both.

I think my country navy just like to have it because that's what they have started with from day 1. Actually there is a logic to it when I think hard about it. When using J valve, a gauge
mailfunction will allow the diver to know later that when the time comes breathing hard, there is 500 psi still available at the click of the switch.:D

IYA

Hm ... it was my understanding that the J-valve was not a Navy approved piece of gear as of about twenty years ago.

Hm ... it was my understanding that the J-valve was not a Navy approved piece of gear as of about twenty years ago.

Probably true for the US Navy, the IP is from Indonesia and seems to be looking for a source for the Indonesian Navy. Best of luck and a Mod may want to move this thread to the vintage divers forum.

From what I have seen of recent Navy training they still use the solid single outlet J manifold. They may not depend on it. I believe it is still available along with rebuild kits from Aqua Lung's military and commercial division. The service manual for both double and single J valves is online if you go to the military site.

Datasheets

My memory is that the J-valve (single) was removed from the Navy dive lockers after a series of test by then Lt. Mike Fitzgerald determined that they were inconsistent in the amount of pressure that they held back and that most of them leaked enough air past the seal to permit a "slow breather" to go right through the reserve to an "empty" tank condition. That was over twenty years ago.

Wow, thanks guys. Very good info. I am sure some division in the Indo navy is merely sticking to what they been accustomed to since they first use back pack and horseshoe collar floater.

Gee, I didn't know there is a Vintage forum.

Anyhow again thanks very much Gentlemen.

Regards,
IYA

My memory is that the J-valve (single) was removed from the Navy dive lockers after a series of test by then Lt. Mike Fitzgerald determined that they were inconsistent in the amount of pressure that they held back and that most of them leaked enough air past the seal to permit a "slow breather" to go right through the reserve to an "empty" tank condition. That was over twenty years ago.

When I was in the business (left 3 years ago) RFQ's still came from the Navy for the J-valve. USD is the only one making them and they were not going to job them out. Hold on to your knickers when you get the price!!!!

30 years ago if someone came on our boat with one, we would throw the rod in 500 feet of water. Dangerous piece of equipment. Most would not monitor pressure and when they were out of air go to pull the rod and find that it had been bumped on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom