Need advice for best underwater metal detector please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie0424

New
Reaction score
Good evening all!

my dive buddy and I are about to make a big addition to our world, we are going to buy an underwater metal detector. However, I am beginning to feel overwhelmed by the research out there and all the reviews!!! There is so much information :(. I thought it would be a great idea to reach out to the diving community and see what kind of advice yall had! We will be diving in the Caribbean, so this detector needs to be good in the warm saltwater. We will be hitting depths of up to 90-100 but mostly staying around 60. We will be taking this metal detector to varying depths so we definitely need this to be a good rig in multiple depths. We will be diving on submerged shipwrecks, Sandy bottoms, reef and partially visible shipwrecks. ANY ASSISTANCE FROM THE DIVING COMMUNITY WOULD BE SO VALUED AND APPRECIATED!!!!!:D

I have a Fisher CZ 21 and like it. The pros working the 1715 fleet seem to prefer the Aqua Pulse. The Minelab Excaliber is good for detecting but fragile when it comes to its knobs. I had a Fisher 1280x and wasn't impressed. I really liked my Fisher impulse, it was a pulse detector and picked up everything. I left batteries in it and they leaked

Kellyco has some of the best prices and selection

Land, Beach, & Water For Sale - Kellyco Metal Detectors

Treasurenet can provide a lot of info

Metal Detecting

Hi Dennis,
Thanks so much for your reply. I greatly appreciate your feedback and advice. Someone else actually recommended that same model earlier today as well. I actually also stumbled upon Treasurenet and have posted a couple threads there as well. My quandary is that the Fisher model is $1500 vs the Tesoro Sand Shark which is $600-700. This is obviously a huge difference. Without an unlimited budget here, we are struggling with this decision. I have found threads saying the Sand Shark is a great model which can compete with its high priced competitors and then find other threads saying negative things about it. However, if it really CAN compete, then obviously we would love to go with a lower priced model. Budget is definitely a priority. Thank you for the Kellyco link, I will check that out. Being that you have a metal detector, do you have experience in valuing artifacts or sources in that area?

I like my Fisher Pulse 8X. The retail price is about $2350 for them, but they pop up used on ebay every once in a while. That's where I got mine (used only once for a commercial job) for only $750.

I had the same experience: lots of research and reading just didn't help me make a choice in a full-sized metal detector. So, to tide me over until a clear favorite emerged, I bought one of these:

Amazon.com : Treasure Products - Vibra-Tector 730 Pulse Induction Hand Held Pinpointer Metal Detector : Hobbyist Metal Detectors : Patio, Lawn & Garden

It's small enough to clip off on my BC. It's really easy to use - just tilt up to turn on or off. Because it vibrates and the LED lights up on a hit, it is very easy to know when you're onto something. And even though it's got a small head on it, it's seems to be very sensitive. It's a PI detector, which means it wants to find everything. It found a small piece of metal buried in about 6 inches of silt; it found a small piece of wire 2-4 inches down. I was swimming past what I thought were rocks but were actually old chains and old moorings covered in seaweed - the detector found them all. And it's cheap enough that it won't keep me from a big detector if I decide to get one.

Silty Sam has the right idea , small cheep and very good ,

Marie-

Big investment...bigger return potential IF...you do the work necessary to LEARN the machine. My Tesoro Tigershark paid for itself on the 59th minute of it's first outing...and I can assure you, it's paid for itself several times over in the last 16 months.
Read, ask questions, and find a local operator to help you over the initial curve. It's REALLY worth it.
That being said...what detector? Salt water means a P.I detector...which means dig EVERY hit. Seriously...EVERY...hit. I have a Garrett SeaHunter and like it for salt. I use my Tesoro Tigershark for strictly freshwater work because quite frankly..I think it's the #1 freshwater gold sniffer available. And it's CHEAP..at half the price!
Given my Tigershark experiances, I'd have NO problem recommending a Sand Shark...the Salt water Tesoro P.I. detector.
Note of caution..be SURE...you KNOW and understand the detecting laws WHEREVER your going....cause you CAN get in alot of trouble if your in the wrong place. Hate to see ya have a problem.

Good luck, and good hunting!!

Bubs

Hello I'm new here and still just reading but came across your post and thought I'd chime in. I use the Fisher CZ21 it is a dual frequency machine that does well in salt water and wet sand I dive with mine all the time I've never had any leaks in the battery compartment and the electronics is sealed and can't leak it's rated to 250 feet. Above water it is heavy around 5 lbs under water it is slightly positive on buoyancy so it's weightless under water I have the 10.5" coil and wish I'd have went with the 8" coil to help with pin pointing. I also use an Anderson carbon fiber shaft with mine it puts the housing under the shaft and to me is balanced better than the stock setup. Hope this helps.

Hi Dennis,
Thanks so much for your reply. I greatly appreciate your feedback and advice. Someone else actually recommended that same model earlier today as well. I actually also stumbled upon Treasurenet and have posted a couple threads there as well. My quandary is that the Fisher model is $1500 vs the Tesoro Sand Shark which is $600-700. This is obviously a huge difference. Without an unlimited budget here, we are struggling with this decision. I have found threads saying the Sand Shark is a great model which can compete with its high priced competitors and then find other threads saying negative things about it. However, if it really CAN compete, then obviously we would love to go with a lower priced model. Budget is definitely a priority. Thank you for the Kellyco link, I will check that out. Being that you have a metal detector, do you have experience in valuing artifacts or sources in that area?

I have a Sand Shark and love it. Built like a tank and finds everything, even under more than a foot of sand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom