Need advice for best underwater metal detector please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Garett Seahunter Mark II. My brother and I both have them. We use them in salt and fresh water and have found a lot of change and some cheap jewelry, one gold ring, and lots of pull tabs. We are metal detecting this weekend as a matter of fact. Good unit. We have had them for three years.

If you're hunting salt water you really only have two choices unless you're wanting to spend a fortune Fishers CZ21 or Minelabs Excalibur saltwater will drive a single frequency unit and you nuts. I use the CZ21 and I am happy with it. If you're wanting a PI machine I don't have any experience with them. I'd shop around and find a used one for half the price you'll pay for a new one. The CZ21 is very simple three tones it also works great on dry land.

I have a Fisher Impulse. It's a well made detector and has lasted me about 10 years so far with no problems. They don't make that model anymore but the 1280x is basically the same detector with an extra knob for discrimination. I don't know how well that works because I haven't tried one yet. I will probably buy one when my Impulse stops working but that may take another 10 years or so.
My Impulse has pros and cons. The pros are it will find everything and it goes deep. The cons are it will find everything and it goes deep.
If you get a PI detector be prepared to do some digging.

HI there , I have both types , and Aqua scan PI (Pulse Induction)the Vibratector and a Minelab Excalibur.
Before you decide which type of detector you need to look at what your looking for and where.
The Vibratector is a PI unit , its excellent for small search areas or areas with a lot of rock where you want to get into the crevices and where there is not a lot of junk as it does not discriminate.
Both the larger detectors are better for larger search areas , I prefer the minelab but they could improve the handle
Starting off I would go the the Vibratector .
Also worth noting that when your digging you burn air ,
Use a plastic garden trowel as you can pass it under the detector without setting it off ,
and good luck

Zerovis is right about burning air when digging. In sandy areas it is faster and easier to fan the bottom with your hand than it is to dig. You will be surprised how quickly you can make a large hole by fanning. And it is usually easier to find the target too because it stays in place as the sand blows away from it. Get used to zero visibility but it doesn't take long for the sand cloud to clear.

I have spent thousands metal detecting underwater since 1981. The type of detector you need is based upon exactly what you are looking for. If you are looking for any metal object, there is nothing better than pulse induction type metal detector. If you don't want to dig small pieces of iron, you don't want a pulse unit. some pulse units advertise they can discriminate out small iron, but don't believe a word of it. If you own a pulse, You will dig lots of iron. The 2 best discriminating metal detectors on the market for use in salt water are the fisher CZ-21 and the Minelab Excalibur. I prefer the Excalibur because I like listening to a steady tone instead of silent search.

I have had Garrett, JW Fisher...but I have had really good luck with the Excalibur II -

Brett

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom