Need advice from experienced divers/Techs - MK5 Swivel Turret - VIDEOS INCL! plz help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you would damage the socket of the allen head before you could apply enough torque to damage the bolt.

Not a chance. The bolt would break way before any decent allen socket. You are over estimating the difference between the brass and SS turret bolts. It's a little thin bolt either way, and the torque spec reflects that; 35in/lbs for the brass and 70 in/lbs for the SS. That's on the MK10 schematic, meaning some MK10s must have had brass bolts.

Not a chance. The bolt would break way before any decent allen socket. You are over estimating the difference between the brass and SS turret bolts. It's a little thin bolt either way, and the torque spec reflects that; 35in/lbs for the brass and 70 in/lbs for the SS. That's on the MK10 schematic, meaning some MK10s must have had brass bolts.
The torque specs for the stainless steel bolt is probably more due to what AWAP mentioned about stainless verses brass than the strength of the bolt itself. I was not suggesting that the allen wrench itself would break if that is what you mean. I was suggesting the socket in the head of a brass MK10 bolt might strip out as is not uncommon when allens bolts are torqued beyond their design max.

The problem with the brass retainer is it may shear off if it experiences excess torque; either from an inept tech or an accident. I have a stash of 5 or so SS retainers from the Zung buy. I used one when I set my granddaughter up with her Mk5/BA/ADJ. Maybe one of the 4 that I use are SS. I'm happy with the brass (after close inspection) and my redundant gas plan should I encounter a failure. But, I do the inspection and I do the service. Not many authorized techs I would trust. Most are younger than some of my favorite regulators.

One of my first eBay purchases was a MK10 that had a sheared turret bolt. I'm pretty sure it was brass; never-the-less some gorilla over torqued it and sheared the head off of the bolt. That came as a complete surprise; however, I later purchased a MK5 with a sheared turret bolt (advertised as such) so I check this item very carefully under 10x or greater magnification and good lighting.

If the OP is not comfortable DIYing his MK5 and would feel more secure with a SS turret bolt, why not just send it to Bryan at Vintage Double Hose and have him service it and install a SS bolt? You would avoid the whole "not a ScubaPro part" BS issue you would likely incur taking it to an authorized dealer.

SP could have avoided this entire issue by simply staying with a circlip and washer to secure the turret, but I guess that would have required them to include the circlip in a service kit.

The price/performance ratio is usually higher in the mid-range of a manufacturer's line. My octos are the same as my primaries. So if I am diving my TX-100 the octo is a TX-50. If I use my G500/MK-20 the octo is another G-500. I prefer adjustable regulators because you can tune them down to prevent free-flows and tune them up if needed. There was a very noticeable difference between my primary and an AL puck. I should have checked the cracking pressure on it.

You had another post that commented on what I said about service. I think you misinterpreted what I said so I want to set the record straight. An LDS can only get parts from the manufacturer for the regulators he sells. So if your rig combines different first and second stages then the LDS needs to be a dealer for both lines in order to get parts. Now some LDSs get around that either by having an arrangement with another shop to purchase parts or use aftermarket parts. Some won't do this because of insurance/liability concerns. That is what I meant when I said they only service the same brands as they sell. I did not mean to imply that they will only service the exact regulators they sold.

Incredible how much the "brands" control the industry. The shop said they just specialize in vintage all the way up to the newest equipment on their website's profile. when I was researching a shop to do service, this was one of the reasons I chose them. In their shop, they had a nice display of "vintage" regulators on the wall, saw an aqualung (adjustable primary) with all her chrome plated beauty. Plus, the first thing the tech said when I called before going in was, "yup we service them" lol so I went. It's like when you have your vehicle serviced for something you cant do yourself, you cant go and watch what the mechanic did, so their is always that little voice in the back of your head when things go wrong :cheeky:

Thanks brother!

---------- Post added March 13th, 2015 at 12:17 AM ----------

One of my first eBay purchases was a MK10 that had a sheared turret bolt. I'm pretty sure it was brass; never-the-less some gorilla over torqued it and sheared the head off of the bolt. That came as a complete surprise; however, I later purchased a MK5 with a sheared turret bolt (advertised as such) so I check this item very carefully under 10x or greater magnification and good lighting.

If the OP is not comfortable DIYing his MK5 and would feel more secure with a SS turret bolt, why not just send it to Bryan at Vintage Double Hose and have him service it and install a SS bolt? You would avoid the whole "not a ScubaPro part" BS issue you would likely incur taking it to an authorized dealer.

I was thinking about doing just that, sending it to VDH, BUT I have no other regulator sadly, at least a decent one to breath from for a good little while, so I ordered the nuts instead. Like most of you guys, I'm hoping to DIM (myself) and self service my own gear. I have pretty good confidence in what I set my mind to, sure after some really good research, info from this great site, and help from the community, I'll be up and going in no time.

I'm already looking into getting the tools required for the job. thanks again ams511 :)

I'll keep those over-torquing gorillas away from my stuff . Or like awap mentioned, keep them "youngins" away lol

Thanks as always!

Back
Top Bottom