Need advice on cozumel drift dive op and a cheap pkg !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, it sounds like you’re diving with your personal DM for a bud, with him booking space on various boats. As great as it is, I’m sure your daily cost is more than I’d pay. Fine for you, but not what I’d suggest.

To each his own, I do not pay *that much* more than I would elsewhere. My .02 cents - you get what you pay for. I see more this way than I ever did on the commercial cattle boats. I'm usually bringing up the rear, so cattle boats all but guarantee that I will miss what the leaders with scare / chase off. :thumb:

To each his own, I do not pay *that much* more than I would elsewhere. My .02 cents - you get what you pay for. I see more this way than I ever did on the commercial cattle boats. I'm usually bringing up the rear, so cattle boats all but guarantee that I will miss what the leaders with scare / chase off. :thumb:

Most of us here do not use cattle boat dive ops...

Sure, if you're happy, no problem. How much do you pay anyway?

As GameChanger suggested, hardly anyone here uses cattleboats.

Sure, if you're happy, no problem. How much do you pay anyway?

As GameChanger suggested, hardly anyone here uses cattleboats.

$85/day.

Based on the OPs post, he was looking for "cheap package" and that generally coincides with cattle boat for the masses. I say generally as the key word.

$85/day.

Based on the OPs post, he was looking for "cheap package" and that generally coincides with cattle boat for the masses. I say generally as the key word.
Ok, that's pretty economical. I suppose he gets a nice locals discount on unbooked spaces on boats with various Ops, but then he is getting two seats, 4 tanks, and still not charging much. Impressive.

I have a friend that does not work for a shop. he knows every one on the island. I tell him what day I am coming to cozumel and where to pick me up the following morning. I do not go through a diveshop, i do not do anything other than show up and the dock. It's sweet. I don't even know what boat is picking me up until I see him
Dang, VIP coming through, step aside folks.

Ok, that's pretty economical. I suppose he gets a nice locals discount on unbooked spaces on boats with various Ops, but then he is getting two seats, 4 tanks, and still not charging much. Impressive.

I feel I see more doing it this way (at least it feels that way).

Dang, VIP coming through, step aside folks.

Looks like we have a real comedian in the audience

I feel I see more doing it this way (at least it feels that way).
Well, yeah - more different boats, crews, divers, as well as different approaches of doing the same dive sites. And you have your friend as a dive bud. I like doing on the same boat with the same crew and repeat divers, but it all sounds great. I honestly cannot see how he makes a living charging you $85 per two dive trip even with him getting a locals discount on unsold seats, having to buy two seats and four tank fills per trip. I'm sure you tip well on top of those charges, but still - impressive.

Well, yeah - more different boats, crews, divers, as well as different approaches of doing the same dive sites. And you have your friend as a dive bud. I like doing on the same boat with the same crew and repeat divers, but it all sounds great. I honestly cannot see how he makes a living charging you $85 per two dive trip even with him getting a locals discount on unsold seats, having to buy two seats and four tank fills per trip. I'm sure you tip well on top of those charges, but still - impressive.

When people rent spaces on other peoples boats and send their own DM, they only pay for the diver, usually $50 - $55 - so they are taking 2 spots, but only paying for 2/3 of 1 spot and don't have to worry with all of the equipment, logistics, snacks., insurance, etc. etc. etc. - this is why ANOAAT boats won't rent to those who just want to ride the coat tails of legally operating businesses. Everyone has a right to work, but everyone should be doing it legally in the interest of guests and the industry as a whole. They will still work and find spots, but no guarantees about the boat they're on.

@mcohen1021 So the irony of that is that if your "friend" was working for one of the many reputable shops on the island, he would be making more than $30 - $35 as trip pay. The good shops pay between $45 and $60 just for trip pay for a 2-tank dive, then they get a base salary + tips. So unless you're leaving a very very hefty tip, he's losing money when you're in town. My guys also get nitrox covered by me + a host of other benefits.

Bottom line is, I like diving with a friend that I have known and trusted for nearly 30 years. I like that he is familiar with our experience level and there’s a level of trust. Doesn’t really matter what I say on here, someone will find a way to sh-t on it and say it’s wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom