Need advice on cozumel drift dive op and a cheap pkg !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

C41ECEA6-D695-41C3-A0E4-CBDFFD6CC95B.jpeg

Hi Kris!
I use Aldora Divers and recommend them highly. Safety, great instructors, knowledgeable dive masters, first rate boats and crews, gear store and set up daily are their norms.

They sent me a new package deal they are running this late summer and fall. At 5 nights, 3 dive days, I’ll bet it would fall right into your budget. This is the graphic they sent. And it’s a GREAT deal for diving with them! And for staying at Casa Mexicana!

Casa Mexicana is in the middle of town, so you can find local food galore within walking distance. And it includes breakfast, so there’s a little savings, too. You’re right around the corner from the shop and a couple of blocks from the pier.

Hope to see you on the boat or the beach, @miserkris !

At 5 nights, 3 dive days
The image you posted says 5 dive days, unknown nights, but I guess that's a week long package?

Yes, the graphic states 7/5, but the shop is willing to work with customers for their particular needs. Kris asked about five nights.
Will touch base with Matt, thanks.

Yes, the graphic states 7/5, but the shop is willing to work with customers for their particular needs. Kris asked about five nights.
Will touch base with Matt, thanks.
Memo said they also offer a 5 night / 3 days diving package for $445, based on double occupancy (the single price is about the same as booking separately).

Yep.

I get a lot of confusion from people when they e-mail who don't understand the "single" vs. "double occupancy and they somehow have the impression that they are being penalized for being "single."

Most hotels that are not all inclusive have room rates by the night, just like hotels in the US. SO a single rate simply means you are paying the regular nightly room rate. Double occupancy means that you are splitting the nightly room rate with someone else, hence the low per person rate. If there is a 3rd person, then there will be an upcharge for that 3rd person simply to cover their breakfast, extra towels, etc. At Casa MX and sister hotels, the rate for a 3rd person is around $22 + tax (19%) per night.

So the equation looks something like this with diving added in:
SINGLE PKG rate PP = (dive pkg cost) + (hotel nightly rate * .03 lodging tax) * 16% IVA

DOUBLE PKG rate PP = (dive pkg cost) + (hotel nightly rate * .03 lodging tax)/2* 16% IVA

It should also be noted that Casa Mexicana, Suites Bahia, and Suites Colonial do not allow more than 3 adults per room. SO if you are 4 people hoping to split a room, they won't go for it.

I hope this helps clear up confusion for those who don't understand the single vs. double occupancy lingo and pricing.

Hello all again !
My dive trip is coming up next week, arriving SUNDAY 3pm ..hooray ! btw..... I signed up with Blue-XT divers !

Few Q's:
Flying AA from PHL- Dallas- Cozumel..... I might skip the carry-on luggage and just do 1 check-in bag. Do baggage get lost in Cozumel airport .......ever?!

Will I be ok with TUSA Split fins, since they are easy to kick? Wonder how they do in Drift current/dives?!
like these
TUSA X-Pert Zoom Z3 Open Heel Split Fins

Thanks....

Flying AA from PHL- Dallas- Cozumel..... I might skip the carry-on luggage and just do 1 check-in bag. Do baggage get lost in Cozumel airport .......ever?!
It's always possible. Just never happened to me. Today's luggage system with computer tracking and computer printed tags is so much more efficient than the old days of marking airport codes by hand.

My home bud & I once flew non-stop to Houston so there was almost no chance of losing a checked bag, except they did. The claims agent assured me that they'd forward it to our destination, but I impressed on her that we were getting on a liveaboard that evening, so if they couldn't find the lost bag - it was a lost trip. They looked on the deck outside and found where it'd fell off of a trailer. It's always possible, but not so likely. And if it happens, the airline is responsible for paying for whatever you need & buy. Enjoy a shopping spree but keep it reasonable or an argument over need could develop with the best lawyers.

Will I be ok with TUSA Split fins, since they are easy to kick? Wonder how they do in Drift current/dives?!
The argument over split fins was never settled, but they're all I've ever used. Not great for snorkeling on the surface with Whale Sharks, but for steering as you ride a drift current, it doesn't matter much.

Probably won't lose a bag, but if you do it'll probably be on the connection (in this case Dallas). I would carryon at a minimum anything that would severely limit my diving if it doesn't make it. For me it's my prescription mask, DC, and something worst case to wear diving (t-shirt & swim suit/board shorts).

Your fins should be fine. If you're finning much into the current while Coz drift diving either you or your DM/guide is doing it wrong. :shakehead: Have fun. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom