• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Need advice on cozumel drift dive op and a cheap pkg !

Discussion in 'Cozumel' started by miserkris, Jun 13, 2019.

1. miserkris

miserkris Barracuda

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Thx Don.

No SMB for me. Tank banger, whistle, dive lights, computer and a paralenz dive camera i got from here!

Wait, i thought using Visa or Mastercard credit card was the best way to get best exchange rates ? That's how it was in Costa Rica when we went there recently....... if CC are not suitable for meals lmk I'd rather withdraw once with fee once from that HSBC bank in cozumel...i have wells Fargo too! Btw how much should I withdraw once I'm only going to be there for five nights

I've been to Cozumel once but I wasn't diving at the time this was back in 2007 also yes I'm hiring a private DM the 1st day.

Also any good massage in the area? My legs ache after 4 dives lol

2. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I'm still using the one I got for my first dive trip in 2001. It amazes me that anyone would dive in the ocean without one, even tho many do. It's come in handy a few times. I also carry a PLB inside a dive canister clipped to a D ring, but I'd be embarrassed if I had to use it.

Nope. It's always best to pay in Pesos, and for most - ATM withdrawals from a debit card are best (assuming you told your bank that you'll be using the cards in Mexico before. I've forgotten twice I think, and the machine ate the cards). I'm skeptical about you CC use in Costa Rica as Wells Fargo charges 3% exchange rate on international charges, and you might even incur poor exchange rates at the restaurant before the charge.

I wouldn't want to draw Pesos with a credit card as they'll charge extra for that too. I have no idea how much you'll spend in five days. Ask WF what your limit is on debit card withdrawals per day, multiply by 19, and that's the maximum Pesos you can draw a day - well, you might round down some to allow for fees. I pay my hotel in Pesos to avoid extra charges, so while I stay at a cheaper hotel, I'll take 5,000 at a time over two or maybe three days. Whatever I have left over I save for the next trip with my passport. You may not want to take much home with you, but the above is the best general approach. Did you read the other thread warnings? BTW, the biggest ATM warning is only use those at banks, never the ones you see on the street.

Many, but I wouldn't know who or how to contact. I think I'd ask on one of the Facebook Cozumel groups.

From here? Someone posted about losing one last month. Make sure it's well attached to your wrist. I like float straps and Personal Articles Policy - State Farm®

Oh yes, complete an immigration form at this site and print it out to carry: Instituto Nacional de Migración - Forma Migratoria Múltiple
    The planes often don't have the forms, and you'll lose your place in line looking for one on arrival. The agent will tear it in half and give you a piece that you will have to have to leave. I put it and a passport in a ziplock together to keep them safe. You'll still need a pen for the Customs form.

3. ggunn

ggunn ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Yes, and easily available. Most hotels can hook you up; just ask at the front desk. There are many freelance masseuses on Cozumel who have arrangements with hotels.

DandyDon likes this.
  4. ReefHound

ReefHound PADI Pro

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    It's not "always" best to pay in pesos. If the product/service is priced in dollars, pay in dollars. If priced in pesos, pay in pesos. I'm not talking about a restaurant where they have a menu in both. That is usually peso-based with a dollar conversion.

Any time I've ever used my credit card in Mexico, the charge has been processed in pesos even if the price had been in dollars. It might even be the law. And the dollars conversion always comes out less than the dollars they asked. Great exchange rate. None of my cards have an international transaction fee. I'm finding more and more places cheerfully accepting cc without imposing any customer fee.

In addition to the FMM you can also fill out the Customs form online. I used it a feww weeks ago, printed in black n white on standard size paper.

miserkris likes this.
  5. divingjd

divingjd Instructor, Scuba

Credit card use depends on the term of your card. Like ReefHound, I find they work well. Mine don’t have international transaction fees and the exchange rate is better. But Aldora gives a cash discount, so I pay cash there. Many restaurants only take cash and pesos are best at those places. Hard to say how much to get, depends too much on what you are going to do.

6. miserkris

miserkris Barracuda

Only intending pesos for local eateries where locals eat. Maybe rent scooter one day. Ferry to playa a day. So thinking 2000 pesos? For 5 nights?

Btw, if i have extra pesos can i exchange it here in wells Fargo?

7. ReefHound

ReefHound PADI Pro

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    If you have extra pesos, save them for the next trip. It helps to have pesos when you arrive for bus/ferry/shuttle/beer until you can get to an ATM.

Steelyeyes and DandyDon like this.
  8. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    That's got to be the most dangerous activity on the island. Please don't. Rent a VW for the day from Isis Rent a Car | Playa del Carmen and Cozumel Ask her if she offers a SB discount.

I'm sure they will take them for deposit. I wouldn't expect a great rate.

Yep. If you go home with a few hundred pesos, that's only about $5 USD per 100 Mxn so not a lot of dead money to save with your passport.

Steelyeyes and miserkris like this.
  9. divingjd

divingjd Instructor, Scuba

I’ve never changed pesos for dollars. I visit often enough to keep them for the next trip. It helps that I rarely have more than a few hundred pesos left. I know you can change at the airports, but you’ll get hit for a fee and not get a good rate. I think 2000 pesos is probably on the light side. If it were me, I would get more and try to avoid another ATM fee. I have a Schwab debit card and don’t pay ATM fees, but when I did, I preferred to take out more and try to avoid fees. It’s a personal choice.

Pelagicsal and miserkris like this.
  10. miserkris

miserkris Barracuda

I'll be eating in local hole in wall places where locals eat that's what i enjoy. I don't drink....

I'll eat breakfast at hotel for free (casa)...
    How much do meals cost for dinner etc?
    Around $10 at most?