Need advice on crotch strap positioning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Altamira

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I finally bought a bp/w, and have never had a crotch strap on my previous two bcds, a jacket and then back inflate. Right now, the waist belt buckle is pretty well centered on my body, so the crotch strap loop is either going to be left or right of center, unless I move the buckle. Logic would tell me to put the crotch strap loop to the right of the waist belt /buckle (right hand open) to expedite ditching the b/c if necessary. However, never having used a crotch strap, I am wondering if my thought process might be flawed, or perhaps other considerations might be in play. Thank you for any inputs.

A few things in relation to the crotch strap. If the crotch strap is too tight, it can put quite a lot of pressure on your bladder, causing you to pee a lot more. The strap positioning in of itself doesn't matter a whole lot, I usually put it to the right. Back to the pressure though, if you put the crotch strap in center, it can cause quite a bit of pain on your junk. Just some things you should consider.

Is the crotch strap a loop or a quick release?
Loop, goes on the right, gets threaded in as you thread the waist strap.
Quick release, goes on the left or even through the buckle weaving. That way you just undo the quick release but you don't loose end.

I've had both, currently running a quick release. Only because that is what it came with. Never had a compelling reason for one over the other in real life. But this being scubaboard there will be opinion and theories abound. Both are on the market, both work.

Not twangy tight, just take out the slack is all it needs to be tightened to.

@broncobowsher. It is a HOG rig, with a 1.5 inch crotch strap, and the crotch strap has a loop with a round metal attachment ring below the loop, and then a plastic quick disconnect below the metal attachment ring. I am thinking I might not want to use the quick disconnect to avoid any possibility of the loop and attachment ring being lost if the buckle slips through the loop.

@broncobowsher. It is a HOG rig, with a 1.5 inch crotch strap, and the crotch strap has a loop with a round metal attachment ring below the loop, and then a plastic quick disconnect below the metal attachment ring. I am thinking I might not want to use the quick disconnect to avoid any possibility of the loop and attachment ring being lost if the buckle slips through the loop.
Or weave the loop into the waist-buckle webbing then use the QR - no parts to loose.

Consider leaving the buckle in the crotch strap loop. if you need to release pull the crotch strap aside and release. you most likely will not be able to release the weight belt when using doubles and crotch strap. I for get the rule and it may refer to dry suits. but diving wet the weight belt goes over the rig and dry or doubles it goes under the rig.

DSC_1837.JPG

This is the quick release threaded into the buckle. It won't fall off.

I finally bought a bp/w, and have never had a crotch strap on my previous two bcds, a jacket and then back inflate. Right now, the waist belt buckle is pretty well centered on my body, so the crotch strap loop is either going to be left or right of center, unless I move the buckle. Logic would tell me to put the crotch strap loop to the right of the waist belt /buckle (right hand open) to expedite ditching the b/c if necessary. However, never having used a crotch strap, I am wondering if my thought process might be flawed, or perhaps other considerations might be in play. Thank you for any inputs.
Most people end up using the webbing loop on the crotch strap to end up over the buckle itself, thereby helping ensure it stays closed. The quick release is not necessary, but for some reason continues to be sold by a few different vendors.

There's already feedback from much more experienced divers than me, but what the heck, here goes.

The DIR way is to use a simple loop crotch strap, dead center, just long enough to fit your waist strap though, without pulling it down at all. Say you're on the surface of really choppy water, you might want to inflate your wing fully to keep the water away from your mouth, which will make the rig a lot more buoyant than your body. The crotch strap will keep it from riding upward. Assuming you're not diving with a scooter, that vertical stability is the whole idea here, so just tight enough to dissuade your rig from riding upward.

The buckle goes on the right side, approximately 1-o-clock position. This means that if the buckle is accidentally loosened, the crotch strap will be a little bit in its way, and hopefully make it easier to put it all back together without digging around for the 3 loose ends. Conversely in the case of intentional removal, the buckle will still easily slip though the loop without fiddling.

Personally, I did not realize this when I set my rig up, and just assumed that the buckle should also go right in the middle, so that's what I did. It has not caused me any problems, and works just fine. I keep meaning to move the buckle a few inches to the right, but haven't bothered to yet. One of these days I'll give it a shot and see if it makes a difference.

By the way, there was another thread on this recently, discussing putting the buckle on the left side (whether attached to the right side and adjusted, or attached on the left side). This config variation seems to have many downsides and few upsides.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom