Need advice on making a light beacon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DJ69

Reaction score
I am working on a small light beacon for emergency uses and night dives project and can't deside on what LED configuration to use. I have a "Super Brite" led but it seem as if it's lite is very directional.
Am I just working hard and there is also a super brite led with a more difused light or must I use several leds all pointing to oposit sides so it will be seen from a far ?

Your key words "emergency uses" would indicate a normal flashing strobe.
You should be able to find strobes and other lights that are normally attached to life jackets at a commercial fishing supply store, it would save a lot of the trouble of messing around trying to make something.
I just happen to have a few extra strobes here... :wink:

I know I can buy them. they are about 10$ water proufe for ~100m and have lifetime gerantee.
But you will not beleve how much I have learned during this project. You can't buy that with a 10$ flashing strobe.
I can also buy a batery charger for my IkeLite RCD ( mine was left at Dahab) but it's much more fun do make one on my own.

DJ69:
... it's much more fun do make one on my own.
OK, get one of those water activated life jacket lights & take the critter apart; they have a spiffy little lense that will let you get a decent light pattern with just one LED bulb. The lenses work like a fresnel.
If you can catch a commercial fishing or passenger boat when they're doing their 5-year change outs, you may be able to get one for free, as they're usually just thrown away.

Back
Top Bottom