Need advice on trip planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BAMA6977

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just starting to plan a trip to California in Spring of 2015. Will be staying in Aliso Viejo and thinking of trying to get a few dives in somewhere. I am at a total loss since never been to California. Please point me in the right direction for best dive considerations. Thanks.

Lots of active dive clubs all over San Diego. Several great sites and the Channel Islands are amazing. Lots of LDS as well. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome!! When you get here, no matter where along the coast you are.. head west! Gonna be a little bit cool water around then! Aim for good times, you never know about this place. Shore dives are pretty cool, it could be high surf at one spot then just move a mile to get a whole different set. Boats are kind of similar, that most these days aren't filling to a waiting list, but if one "is" full drive to the next harbor to board another boat. Just seen a Bent out of shape diver from doing the right thing in making Reservations that fell through, he might of had plain better luck just showing up and calling the night before. I like out of towners, if I'm going out on a private boat when they get here, I'll invite em. I've met people that came from New York, Texas, Canada to take me up on offers. If I see closer to the date you're still coming out. I have a question for you, is this reply, hard to understand, is it legible? Just wondering! Have fun!

It's been a few years but I think this is all pretty current:

Aliso Viejo is close to Laguna Beach if you want to shore dive. Shaws Cove is probably the most famous (and crowded) SoCal dive site. Heisler Park is also popular. From the NW side of Aliso Viejo take Laguna Canyon Road to Laguna Beach. A right in town onto PCH/Hwy 1 and Heisler is a few blocks north. Shaws Cove a block or so past it. . Here's 2 dozen other nearby options...lol - Directions to Laguna Beach California for Scuba Diving It's pretty cold so plan to rent/bring a 7Mil wetsuit.

Some shops in Laguna: Beach Cities Scuba has multiple shops in that area. I've been to their shop in Huntington Beach. Their shop in Laguna is called Laguna Sea Sports. Beach Cities Scuba Centers ? Your premier Orange County Scuba Diving experience They also book Riviera - mentioned below and have a shop in Dana Point as well. There's also Southcoast Divers - IDK them.

The closest boat diving in that area is either from Dana Point - a little south down I5 or a longer drive north to San Pedro/Long Beach. You'll see Riviera mentioned here regularly - they're out of Dana Point. Or you've got all the boat options in both San Pedro or Long Beach - there must be a dozen of them or more. Here's the complete boat list: California Dive Boats : The Official Page

The freeways in that area can be busy in the mornings, the 5 is a major route thru Irvine, Anaheim into downtown L.A. and the 405 is one of the Port of Long Beach access routes. A nice drive that takes longer is to drive into Laguna then up the PCH/Hwy. 1 through all the beach cities - it runs right along the water. Scattered along the road are some nice waterfront restaurants also. Parking in the beach cities is incredibly tight so if you see anything close, grab it.

Additionally you can catch the Catalina Express out of Long Beach, San Pedro or Dana Point and dive off Catalina for the day in the marine park - either off the shore or one of their local boats. Many of the Long Beach/Sand Pedro boats will go there also - I've heard some of them do better dives than what the Catalina boats do. http://www.catalinaexpress.com/

San Diego seems like a stretch to me unless you want to day trip down there to dive the Kelp or LaJolla Cove. The better Kelp forest that's easily accessible in San Diego is off Point Loma via boat - they just about all go there. divebums.com lists most of your options in that area. To find parking at the Cove you'll need to be there really early. La Jolla Shores nearby is less crowded - and has a big parking lot - but IMO the dive isn't as good.

have a good trip.

Diver Steve is giving same advice i would...Aliso Viejo is close to good diving in Laguna Beach ( conditions vary) and ferries to great diving on Catalina...I would add the Newport Beach Catalina Flyer as an alternate ferry to Avalon, Catalina...they have Groupon deals too. Catalina Dive Park at Avalon is very good way to introduce yourself to California diving as its 95% reliably good diving, very easy shore entry with stairs/railings diving and its a beautiful place above and below water imho. Tons of info on the Dive Park here on SB...dive shops right there...good restaurants, pubs, hotels, etc...resident biologist Dr. Bill...showers..stuff for non-divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom