Need Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DirtDart

New
Reaction score
So I'm a new diver. My name is Aaron and I'm 27. I'm a software engineer and photographer. I was recently certified through the Maui Dive Shop in Maui. I've only been diving in Maui and I'm curious about where the good spots are here in Northern California.

I live in the SF Bay Area and would love a local spot I can easily get to on the weekends, but I've heard something about the "Red Triangle" and the water seems to pretty cold here with low visibility.

What is this Red Triangle and what area does it primarily occupy? I don't want to dive with sharks.

Do I really need a drysuit around here or is a wetsuit sufficient?

Are there any local dive groups in the SF Bay Area or maybe any potential dive buddies in the San Mateo County area? I live in San Bruno.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

PS- I really like this emote: :mooner:

DirtDart:
I don't want to dive with sharks.

:jaws: Then what were you doing diving in Maui with sharks? :hai: Do some research on sharks and you will see our great whites here are mostly surface feeders. That is why ab divers and surfers are at the highest risk. Even then very very remote chance. The chances of a shark attack on a scuba diver are extremely slim. You are more likely to drown from other reasons. :sharks:

Many people dive the Monterey area. The North Coast is another great place to dive. The water temperature in either place is about the same. If money is not an option a drysuit is the better way to go. I wear two wetsuits and stay plenty warm, but then again I am always cold.

Oh and welcome to scubaboard :wavey:

Aaron,
Welcome to the Nor Cal section.... Browse thru the old threads and you'll find plenty of info that you might find useful.

I've only been diving in Maui and I'm curious about where the good spots are here in Northern California.
The most popular dive sites for guys here in the SF bay area are in Monterey and Carmel Bays. A few will go up north to the less visited North Coast where you'll find unspoiled sealife and more rugged conditions.

There's plenty to pick from.

Look for the DVD Discover California Diving it just came out this last year and has plenty information on diving up and down the coast.

But being a new diver(to cold water) I would stick with the "bunny slopes" like the Breakwater or Macabee until you get your bouyancy, trim and ascents and descents down.

I live in the SF Bay Area and would love a local spot I can easily get to on the weekends, but I've heard something about the "Red Triangle" and the water seems to pretty cold here with low visibility.

What is this Red Triangle and what area does it primarily occupy? I don't want to dive with sharks.

Do I really need a drysuit around here or is a wetsuit sufficient?

Are there any local dive groups in the SF Bay Area or maybe any potential dive buddies in the San Mateo County area? I live in San Bruno.

For these questions check out Chuck Tribolet's BA_Diving website

Here's another good source for local info Clinto Bauder's Metridium Fields

Good luck on finding buddies... if you can't find anyone let me know.... I'll be your wingman :)

Be sure to get a cold water dive orientation. this may be by a mentor, hired DM or by doing AOW in the Bay area. Most of diving becomes a few notches more difficult with a heavier suit, gloves, hood and the requisite weights.

Pete

Hi Aaron,

A few people are warm-blooded enough that they don't require a dry suit. I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I used a dry suit during my OW certification dives, so I have never dove wet in CA. Search here and on ba_diving (saw you there, too) and you will get a lot of opinion on suits.

California Dive Center, www.cadive.com , is in San Bruno. I haven't dealt with them much, but my experience with them was good. My girlfriend has rented and purchased gear from them.

There are several dive boats in Monterey. Most of the bay area dive shops organize charters with them once or twice a month, or you can book direct. Booking through the local dive shop gives you an opportunity to meet other divers from your area.

You can find links to the Monterey dive boats at:
http://www.bluewater-aquatics.com/boatcharters.htm

You could get your AOW as an opportunity to get introduced to diving with heavier suits, lower vis, kelp, etc. You could get a drysuit rating at the same time.

Welcome to Nor Cal diving! Everything you have heard here so far I agree with. Monterey and Carmel are probably your best beginning spots. (Check out A Divers Guide to Montery and A Divers Guide to Nothern California by Bruce Watkins). You should be able to find them in any local dive shop around here.

I see a lot of dry suits around, but I am happy with my 7mm full body wet and hood and gloves. Of cource I am also the idot who goes free diving in Alaska so what do I know.

Depending on where and how deep you dive, vis can get pretty good. I just dove Monestary last weekend and vis was 40 feet in 32 fsw. Keep in mind that you want to get a number of dives in before you try Monestary as it is an advance dive site, but I am sure that you will be able to find lots of other sites to get your skill up first.

Back
Top Bottom