Need an inexpensive dive computer to backup my AI consoles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @John Bantin

I had not heard that Huish may discontinue Oceanic computers, do you have reliable information to the contrary? Since Huish purchased Oceanic and Hollis, they have supplied service, from personal experience, very good service for Oceanic. The Aeris brand was discontinued by American Underwater Products well before the Huish purchase.

Regarding DSAT, all Oceanic computers run dual algorithm and Sherwood and Genesis run DSAT. Are you implying that Pelagic Pressure Systems, under Aqua Lung, will discontinue supplying these computers or that Huish may just discontinue marketing Oceanic?

Thanks, Craig

Watch this space! Uwatec used to supply AquaLung with a computer but stopped when it was bought by Scubapro. In the same way, it is likely that AquaLung will cease supplying computers to its competitors. However, Huish might source a different manufacturer for future Oceanic computers if there is a perceived demand. However, since they stopped doing Liquivision computers to concentrate on Suunto, I know where I'd put my money!

Watch this space! Uwatec used to supply AquaLung with a computer but stopped when it was bought by Scubapro. In the same way, it is likely that AquaLung will cease supplying computers to its competitors. However, Huish might source a different manufacturer for future Oceanic computers if there is a perceived demand. However, since they stopped doing Liquivision computers to concentrate on Suunto, I know where I'd put my money!
We'll all see. I have no interest in a Suunto computer, nor in one running PZ+

Factoring the OP's needs and budget considerations, I'm thinking it'll be tough to beat the brand-new Pucks at Leisure Pro, for $129,delivered (regardless of any algorythm conflict,IMO.)

Factoring the OP's needs and budget considerations, I'm thinking it'll be tough to beat the brand-new Pucks at Leisure Pro, for $129,delivered (regardless of any algorythm conflict,IMO.)

The problem with using the more conservative one as the backup is when you need the backup and find it's got bent two dives ago and is now in the GAMEOVER mode.

The problem with using the more conservative one as the backup is when you need the backup and find it's got bent two dives ago and is now in the GAMEOVER mode.

Sure, this is obviously a reasonable concern and fair point, but it sounds like the OP has a good grasp of the realities, and is able to handle a little deco (assuming the dive operators are cool).
But,it sounds like economy is a big concern here (hence the fact he started this thread,rather than just going out and buying identical/similar computers), and these sale-priced, brand new Pucks sound like a pretty painless option.
Also, they could just dive the more conservative computers as their primaries, and use the looser ones as their backups (I mean, they'll both already be along for the same ride, and how much bottom time are they really gonna lose running the tighter algorythm?) ***
But again, i was mostly thinking about economy over anything else (and somehow managed to skim right over the fact that the OP was already considering the Pucks,LOL! :D).

*** Now that I thnk about it (i got to stop skimming through the OP's ! :D) , I guess the time/deco contraints of the less conservative computer would start to accumulate on the OP's anticipated 4-5-tank days, and become a real hinderence. So yeah, better stick with a computer with the same algorythm.

Last edited:

This is the primary driver for me having a backup that is not more conservative than my primary AI computer. Cost is not really a factor other than I don't want to spend unnecessary money on an expensive backup computer that I would need only rarely in the future.

@tcpip95
Thank you for the photos of the two computers. They were very helpful to see the difference.

Sure, this is obviously a reasonable concern and fair point, but it sounds like the OP has a good grasp of the realities, and is able to handle a little deco (assuming the dive operators are cool).

Not the point: computer being locked out and not working for the next 24 hours is the point.

This is the primary driver for me having a backup that is not more conservative than my primary AI computer. Cost is not really a factor other than I don't want to spend unnecessary money on an expensive backup computer that I would need only rarely in the future.

I strongly suspect removing the battery and perhaps waiting a few seconds for caps to discharge would clear any lock-out, but maybe not: they cold have put in a supercapacitor or something. Even if it works it'd clear out your accumulated gas loading, dep. on where you are in your dive trip you'll have to guesstimate how to compensate with extra conservatism.

Considering this is going to be a trip that has a very long boat ride in each direction, and just two (most likely) or four dive days, depending on which trip we take, I do not want to deal with possibly getting a more conservative backup computer algorithm locked out. In addition, the Fling prohibits any planned deco dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom