Need an inexpensive dive computer to backup my AI consoles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not the point: computer being locked out and not working for the next 24 hours is the point.

I strongly suspect removing the battery and perhaps waiting a few seconds for caps to discharge would clear any lock-out, but maybe not: they cold have put in a supercapacitor or something. Even if it works it'd clear out your accumulated gas loading, dep. on where you are in your dive trip you'll have to guesstimate how to compensate with extra conservatism.

Happened to wife's backup last trip when she totally messed up a setting and didn't notice until it locked out. It is an Oceanic VEO 2.0 and taking the battery out for hours did not clear it. Only time did.

I guess supercapacitors are too common now. The selling point is that is doesn't lose your dive log during battery change, so it's not always a bad thing...

Some of them have a "backup" mode where it supposed to track gas loading but not do anything with it until you switch to "dive". And the switch doesn't take 24 hours. Only good for air, but mostly I could never figure out what's supposed to happen if you switch and it calculates you've been bent into a bag of pretzels 5 dives ago... It seems it's been replaced with "freedive" mode in the current crop of computers anyway, maybe tha't part of the reason why.

Seems to me a lot better option is use the same algorithm on both primary and backup computer, and then to dive within NDL to insure neither computer goes into deco.

...or a couple passes over a big speaker magnet !! :rofl3:

A magnet shouldn't do anything to capacitor-based RAM. Maybe if you pass if fast enough to emulate an EMP...

A magnet shouldn't do anything to capacitor-based RAM. Maybe if you pass if fast enough to emulate an EMP...

Yeah, yeah, 'zactly, that's it, that's what I meant !! :eyebrow:

Last edited:
I can't even find an OEM battery hatch cover for my two Aeris Atmos AI computers. Had to bake an Aqualung i550 hatch cover to make that fit the Aeris, so I don't think I'll be buying any more Aeris products, but thank you anyway.

Sounds like I am basically screwed and need to buy a new computer. My Aeris Atmos AI was still going strong until April 16, 2021 when I needed to change the battery. Pretty crappy that I can't get a $15 part anymore and have to drop some cash on a new computer. I can't even find an AquaLung i550 battery hatch in the USA. 2 places in Europe have it but don't ship to the US. Aqualung told me they can't even talk about Aeris products due to a "legal" reason. I love this dive computer. Not a damn thing wrong with it!

Sounds like I am basically screwed and need to buy a new computer. My Aeris Atmos AI was still going strong until April 16, 2021 when I needed to change the battery. Pretty crappy that I can't get a $15 part anymore and have to drop some cash on a new computer. I can't even find an AquaLung i550 battery hatch in the USA. 2 places in Europe have it but don't ship to the US. Aqualung told me they can't even talk about Aeris products due to a "legal" reason. I love this dive computer. Not a damn thing wrong with it!

What part? If it's just a battery change?

There does seem to be "something" wrong. :wink: your computer isn't working.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom